No gauge information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gauge information

I have two 2016 Suzuki 300. My port side isn't sending any motor info to the gauge. I have checked the wire from the EMM to the back T of the boat and it's good. The motor itself is working, just worried of over heating and not getting the alarm since no information is being relayed to the gauge. Have reset the gauge, unplugged wires from EMM. Any suggestions of what to try next??

The problem is most likely to do with the interface cable or network setup.

So we need to do some checking first....

First, with engine keys Turned to on, open the network menu on one of the C-10’s, it doesnt matter which one. Then:

1. check the vessel setup - to do this, open the menu and go system/fuel/vessel setup. Check that it is set as 2 engines and 2 tanks. If not, then set it that way, and this will probably then fix the data problem so check again.

2. But if its already set as 2 engines/2 tanks, then go System/network/device list.

On the device list you should see both Suzuki interfaces listed - eg Port and Starboard. Do you see them both?

Report back with all results.

Comment

Set up as 2engines and 2tanks but doesn't show the port engine on interface.

Comment

OK. Thanks for the update. It helps set the direction to solve the issue.

If the port engine is not listed on the device list, it means that the Port engine interface cable is not being “seen” by the network.

Why, is then the question we need to answer.

Answer may be 2 things:

1. The interface cable physical connection to the engine may be the problem - eg there is a broken wire, loose plug or broken T piece. The first place I would check is that the engine harness under the cowl is properly plugged into the SDS plug on the engine. This is the Vital connection for digital data to go from engine thru harness up to the dash where the interface cable is then connected. Because the SDS plug on the engine is also used by the mechanic to connect their laptop to it gets disconnected and reconnected quite often, and the plug/wires can get damaged in that process or not plugged back in firmly. So check that first. Then at the dash end, check that the interface cable connection to the harness is good, look for loose or broken wires. Last thing is to swap the Port interface cable to a different T piece on the backbone, this is to see if the T has failed. Check again after these tests to see if port interface Appears on the network device list.

2. If all of that checks out, the interface cable may simply have failed. Then it is a case of getting a new cable running the correct software version to suit your engine year. For a 2016 engine you want a version 3.5.4 cable. This is the part:
        https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...5-38p71395.htm

Comment

Oh one other thing - on the device list, is there any “unidentified” devices listed? Even something that just shows as dashes?

Comment

Thanks for the Help I have Checked all connectors from ECM all the may to the BCM I have also ohm'ed the wires everything has checked out. I have also swapped the connectors on the backbone and swapped interface cables with the sbrd motor with no success I have ordered Suzuki software to see if i can read anything from the motors ECM, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

SDS wont tell you anything that is relevant to this problem.

Since you have checked out all the physical connections, the solution will almost certainly be to replace the port engine’s interface cable. Its very easy to do. Simply unplug from the network T piece at one end, and from the gauge harness at the other end. Install new cable in its place. Then use the C-10 to configure the new interface cable - C-10 menu, network/device list/select the new cable and select configure, then use the dropdown menu to set its location as Port. Done.

Last job to complete the replacement is to run a auto select for network data sources to ensure all,other devices reset sources to look at the new interface. In C10 again, menu/system/network/ select option to auto select sources. Follow the prompts.

Done.

Comment

would my interface cable from my starboard side engine work for my port side engine because I have swapped and still have the same issue?

Comment

Originally posted by JessicaK View Post
                  would my interface cable from my starboard side engine work for my port side engine because I have swapped and still have the same issue?
                  You cant just “swap” them over and have them just work.

The cable has to be configured to the other engine much like I described how the new cable has to be when installed. And then the gauge has to be set to look for the data from that cable.

Not much point trying that anyway - the testing of the wiring you said that you did and swapping the port interface to a different T has, if its been done properly, basically confirmed that the port interface cable has failed. Its not that uncommon, and the chances of it being something else are minimal, mainly because there is really nothing else other than a wiring fault that can cause it. The only real possibility is a failure in the engine harness somewhere betwee; the engine and the dash, and that is usually accompanied by engine running issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X