2006 Suzuki DF25 (V-twin) losing power/stalling while underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Suzuki DF25 (V-twin) losing power/stalling while underway

This is a Suzuki V-twin 4 stroke motor. I have taken it to 2 different shops and have been told carb needed cleaning. Last guy took the carb off and soaked overnight, changed oil, plugs and said it ran fine in the tank but I am still having the same issue under load.

The carb seems to be fine, but as I am underway it just loses power and stalls. It is almost like the fuel just stops flowing. I thought it might be a fuel pump and replaced it with a brand new one, but still doing the same thing. My question is regarding the part on top of the carb, parts catalog calls it a "starter" but it appears to be some type of electric choke possibly? I don't want to get into just replacing parts and apparently the 2 shops I have been to have no idea how to actually fix this motor and it runs fine other than this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model is J25EL4SU and serial is S34028193. Thanks in advance.

I have the same engine on my skiff. The carb on these is so simple to remove and strip down. I'm really good at it because I have to clean it often. All caused because of my use pattern. If my engine runs weekly, I have no problems. If it sits too long, I have problems.

The design of the carb is such that gas gets trapped in the mid range jet. The other jets drain back to the float bowl when shut down. If the motor sits for too long, say two weeks, this jet plugs up. The jet is covered by a rubber cap and is easy to overlook. The idle jet and main jet have nice big holes that don't plug. The mid jet has tiny little holes that clog in the blink of an eye. When this jet is plugged, the engine will idle perfectly. It will have no mid range power and probably won't accelerate to full power.

I remove the carb, drain the bowl, only remove the float bowl. Remove the float assembly, remove the rubber cap on mid jet, remove all three jets. It takes a long soak and trip through the ultrasonic cleaner to clean these jets. I also use one brass bristle from a wire brush to poke out the little holes in the mid jet. Then another trip through the ultrasonic cleaner. I reuse the gaskets a few times, they are high grade rubber. Just keep them away from carb cleaners. Make sure your mechanic cleans the mid jet. He can hold it up to a light and verify that all the little holes are clean. The holes are drilled through the side also, don't fall for the big hole in the center being clean. I now keep a spare set of cleaned jets ready to go. My wife is not on board with a mandatory outing on the boat every 3 days but I try.

I went through the same frustration as you are going through. Except I was the mechanic. I studied the diagrams in the service manual with the carb in front of me to come up with this. Good luck.

Comment

Will try that next and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
      X