Multi Function Gauges on a Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Function Gauges on a Cat

So I am pretty happy with my new Df140s. What I am not happy with is the Multi Function Gauges (SMG4). I wired them, and programed the gauges based on a Suzuki techs help. NEMA2000 connected.
    Twin DF 140's and 2 - 75 GAL tanks not connected together.
    With my Hondas and the analog gauges I could tell within a couple of gallons the amount of fuel i had left in each of the tanks.
    With these gauges I cant figure it out whats going on. My port gauge shows FUEL USED which is great. My Starboard gauge shows no fuel quantities. (Both tank senders wired into the Port Gauge)
    The Fuel Display Screen shows the Bar Graph of the tank capacity but my first fill up after 29 hours the Starboard tank shows 25% less fuel then Port tank.
    What I want to see is FUEL USED in each individual tank.
    So do I rewire and program the gauges as if they were separated? Or do I put a couple of analog gauges back in.
    I realize that I will have to do the math in my head of GPH, but I don't care. The other thing is that I connected the Gauges and GPS via NEMA2000. On my Garmin 1040 xs the data is totally useless, doesn't show much engine data and no tank volume and the Fuel used appears to be only 1 tank (but which tank), its not customizable. I kinda wish i would have gone with Analog Gauges. I am puzzled why Suzuki didn't think that you may have a boat with Twins and 2 individual tanks not Tank 1 and Tank 2.

There is a link to the dealer installation manual for the SMG4’s towards the bottom of the thread at the link below.

It may assist you to figure it out.

I assume you used the correct harness to connect the gauges - being for a twin mechanical engine installation?

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

I have several friends who have cats with twin Suzukis running SMG4’s and they dont have the same issues you have reported. They get extremely accurate fuel used data.

So it seems likely that you have an installation or configuration problem. Or both.

Apart from that I have no other info to assist.

Comment

Yep used all the proper harness. Looks like I get the proper fuel used data but what I really need is to figure out how much more fuel the counter rotating engine is using. With my old engines, a +-120 GAL fill the difference was under 5 gallons. And I could tell if I could make a long trip offshore. That thread you gave me looks good and i will have to check it out.

Comment

I just went through the Installation guide again. It is connected and set up correctly. The only issue is when I commissioned the engines the tanks were not empty. But I topped the tanks off.Every time I read this manual it says with tank empty. The only way i can do that is pull the senders out. Or temporary resistor in to simulate an empty tank.

Comment

Working...
        X