Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my engine attached to the interface cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my engine attached to the interface cable?

Hi

Firstly huge thanks to Grant for the networking doc. Great reference.

My question is around problem determination as my HDS12 Gen3 is not showing engine data (engine on), although it is registering the Suzuki Eng Interface in the network device list.

With that in mind, considering I can see the interface on the network, where should I be looking for the problem? The connection from the interface to the engine? Or something else?

Engine is DF250 2010
    990C0-88149-290 interface
    and 990C0-88136-000 as I have analogue gauges

PS. should I have connected the trim cable on this 2010 model? I did. Something in Grant's doc made me doubt that I should have.

Many thanks.

Adam

If you can see the interface cable in the device list, then the network is seeing it so the physical connection should be good. You could double check the connection to be sure, but if its on the device list, it should be good.

Then, in the HDS menu, network, device list, look for an option to auto-detect data sources and do that.

Also DOUBLE CHECK the phyiscal connections of devices to the network. Make 100% certain that all devices are attached to the "leg" part of T pieces, never to the top part of the T pieces. This will cause data issues if done wrong, and its easy to make a mistake!!

Is this the first interface cable that has been used? Reason : Occasionally we see an issue where a couple of cables have been installed and it leaves "phantom" cales on the network that confuse things and can cause data to be missing similar to what youve described. The solution is to totally delete any cables showing on the device list, disconnect them, and start over with a totally fresh install.

So give that a try. Then redo the auto-detect of data sources as mentioned earlier.

On a 2010, yes, I believe you need the trim plug connected to get trim data. On my 2010 DF115 i didnt bother because I already have an analogue trim gauge so. Figured I didnt need 2 trim gauges!

I suppose that there is some possibility of a wiring issue there - so maybe try with thr trim plug disconnected and see what you get.

Now, the other real possibility is the interface cable software version. Your cable is running version 2.9.0 because that is what the part number ending in -290 shows. Now, V 2.9.0 is supposed to run Ok with pre-2012 engines but experience tells us otherwise. The most suitable/reliable version for a 2010 engine is V 2.5.0.

The problem you have is that your cable is locked to V2.9.0 and cannot be changed. You would have to get another cable that is the version that can be changed and upload V2.5.0 to it.

Where did you gte your interface cable from? May be able to exchange? Mike at International Marine seems to be one US dealer who can get correct cable versions for earlier engines.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-20-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the thorough response. That gives me something to work through. I was starting to lose the plot.

It should be clean for both engine and MFD. I like the idea of clearing the devices and starting again. Hopefully just a bug.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X