2008 suzuki 90Hp starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 suzuki 90Hp starting issues

HI everybody. I went out fishing in the morning and then went to go back out that afternoon and my boat wouldnt start. Everything powers on (depth finder, bildge, lights, etc ) But motor wouldn't turn at all. Checked the batteries with battery tester and both are good. I went to test the power to the motor at the starter, and when i did i accidently touched leads at got a nice spark, 10 seconds after that spark, the boat would start. An hour later it wouldnt start, so I tried the same test, touched leads again between the starter and starter solenoid, and 10 seconds later it would start. This is pretty re-create able, but dont like doing that of course. It wouldnt start again yesterday so i left it alone, but accidentally left the key on. Heard alot of beeping this morning and it turns out it was my boat, and i could start it again. It would start all afternoon (5-6) hours, and now it wont start again.
    My guess is the starter solenoid, but wanted to get other advice. Ive looked over all the cables and they look good, no damage. One thing i noticed is when my boat dont start, the trim at the console doesnt work. it does at the motor. once my boat decides to start, the trim works again.

thanks in advance!

-Rich

Read the sticky thread near the top of the forum that talks about the white wire. This is an important wire - it powers the ecu and if it is compromised (ie corroded, broken, poor contacts etc) in any way, then it will cause starting and running problems.

I would also check/test the main battery cables from battery to engine. And the main battery switch, if fitted.

Comment

Great info! Thanks! Im def going to track that white wire down. My problem maybe a little different, when my boat is running it runs good, doesn't turn off randomly. Also the depth finder and all electronics are always on and have never flickered on/off. but the white wire will be the first thing i check out today just to be sure, because my wires are older.

Thank you for sharing the info.

Comment

You can also check the neutral on throttle. It is a brown wire coming off of the the under the console. Suzuki uses torpedo terminals. My boat did the same thing for years. Replace the terminals with spade terminals and electrolytic grease.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Whats the best way to find that brown wire, take off the throttle, or go underneath? And you were able to deal with that for years? My boats literally wont start 99.5% of the time.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by gslaydon View Post
            You can also check the neutral on throttle. It is a brown wire coming off of the the under the console. Suzuki uses torpedo terminals. My boat did the same thing for years. Replace the terminals with spade terminals and electrolytic grease.
            Update: Replaced the starter solenoid and didnt fix the issue. Found the brown wires going into the nuetral throttle switch, tested fine. switch tested fine (continuity) put the 2 brown wires together to by=-pass the switch and still the same issue. I have 12v to the console and to the motor. Im guessing at this point it has to be something electronic in the motor or at the on/off switch at console. I read the white wire thread and i tracked that down and itll all looked good. I even replaced all the terminals on every wire that goes in the batteries. Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment

Another update if anybody is tracking: Kept on troubleshooting wires(following the white wire thread) and left the key in the ON position. Got to the motor and found 2 white wires going into a 30 amp fuse, inside the fuse box. Picked them up, and bam, the boat did that long beep when the key is on. So went back to the console and boat started right up. Gave it some time and the boat started all throughout the afternoon, so decided to go out fishing. Boat ran perfectly all afternoon. Put the boat back on the lift and went to bed. Woke up this morning to go back out and boat wont start again, same behavior. Took the cover off and went to the 2 white wires again. started moving them around, pulled out the fuse etc etc like i did yesterday and still nothing, SO it has be a wire or an electronic component somewhere. Prolly just a coincidence yesterday when i was fiddling with the white wires that the boat decided to start.

Comment

Rich
                for the smaller HP engines the ECM gets power from a lead off the starter. The WW feeds the key switch and most other functions. with intermittent problems I think it's best to take all connections you can get to and one by one take them apart, clean the wires and connectors. also do this to the ground wires.
                check the Ww that goes from the battery to the key switch
                this wire should have an inline 15A fuse. look for corrosion.
                the other thing to check is any spliced connections-these sometimes go bad internally with the splice looking good from the outside. You should be able to test this by putting the key to on position and check for power in the gray wire.

Art

Comment

On my DF140 that white wire has a push together type splice, that allows for easy disconnect. It is in the front of the engine, about 6 or 8 inches inside where it runs into the rubber fitting that brings all wiring and fuel line to engine. I heard it was a disconnect spot for the dealer, which I don't understand. One side of the disconnect plug wires was loose. I permanently spliced mine with the crimp heat shrink connector. I cannot tell you how many times that wire screwed me before I discovered it

Comment

Fixed the issue update. I was the white wire. it was corroded in the middle where the wire goes from the motor to the console (underneath the flooring) so it was very hard to find. I pulled 10 inches of wire up from the center console and found the corrosion.
                    Hope this helps somebody with a similar issue

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                      Rich
                      for the smaller HP engines the ECM gets power from a lead off the starter. The WW feeds the key switch and most other functions. with intermittent problems I think it's best to take all connections you can get to and one by one take them apart, clean the wires and connectors. also do this to the ground wires.
                      check the Ww that goes from the battery to the key switch
                      this wire should have an inline 15A fuse. look for corrosion.
                      the other thing to check is any spliced connections-these sometimes go bad internally with the splice looking good from the outside. You should be able to test this by putting the key to on position and check for power in the gray wire.

Art
                      Thanks Art! your were correct it was the white wire, it was corroded in the middle underneath the flooring.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X