C-10 gauge and GPS speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-10 gauge and GPS speed

I have my C10 gauge hooked up to my Lowrance Elite 7 GPS/chatplotter. The Lowrance Elite 7 is recognized on the C-10 device list. It transfers accurate depth information. It also transfers speed information but its not accurate. When the Lowrance says 30 mph the C-10 says 60+. Similar error at all speeds.

I had a real BS discussion with the Lowrance technical people. They told me the Elite 7 was not designed to transfer accurate gps speed, even though it has a NMEA 2000 connection. Just designed to share antennas and waypoints. I guess I bought my last Lowarance product.

Can you all share what GPS you are using that will read accurately on your C-10 gauge. I am thinking of adding a Garmin 451.

Thanks

There is a Sticky above that if I read right says it only works with Lowrance and Simrad. If you already have neama 2000 maybe you could hook up a Point 1 gps module and get your speed. If your unit has GPS it should show an accurate speed. Might be something in the menu your missing. Look under Data Sources.

Comment

Don't have the C-10 gauge, have the older 4" Multi-function gauge, instead. But My Garmin GPSMAP 546s sends GPS data that is read correctly by the gauge. Gives correct ground speed, fuel range, and fuel economy in MPG.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I also have the c-10 and lowrance elite 7 hdi, I haven't interfaced them yet . So I guess I shouldn't waste the money to do that according to your post? Are there any benefits having them interfaced? Thanks

Comment

There are several different Elite models. Their NMEA2000 capabilities vary.

Some of the earlier ones basically only allowed GPS data to be received by the unit. I suspect that may be what the OP has. This earlier model also doesnt have capability to display engine data. Desite being advertised as having "advanced NMEA2000 capability" they were actually very limited when you look more closely at specs.

The more recent models I understand have full N2K capability. Pretty sure the Elite 7 HDI has it all. Check the owners manual and if it has engine data pages then it should be right to connect and share all GPS data. My friend has one and he can show his engine data so hopefully if yours is same model you will be good.

To the OP - you can simply add a N2K GPS puck antenna to your network, and then select it as the SOG speed source in the C-10. This is a lot simpler that buying and installing a new combo unit.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-28-2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfgod82 View Post
            I also have the c-10 and lowrance elite 7 hdi, I haven't interfaced them yet . So I guess I shouldn't waste the money to do that according to your post? Are there any benefits having them interfaced? Thanks
            The main benefit is that you can then get instantaneous Mpg data on the C-10.

An additional benefit is that you can also show any engine data available to the C-10 on the Lowrance screen as well. But as mentioned in my previous reply, check your Lowrance manual to ensure it has engine data display capability.

Linking them is simple and cheap - just add a T piece to your network, and a cable between that T piece and your Elite unit. Done.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-28-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks I'll have to look in my manual. I bought mine when they first came out and don't think it's capable of displaying engine data.

Comment

Just to add some info for all, as there's been some pm's to me behind the scenes.

Adding a GPS puck antenna to the N2K network will allow the C-10 to calculate mpg, using a combination of data received from the puck, and the fuel flow data from the engine.

This same scenario applied for the old SMIS gauges as well.

Further, here in Australia until a year or two ago, Suzuki had a relationship with Garmin and used their GMI-10 and GMI-20 engine data displays instead of the SmIS displays. The "standard gauge install" package from Suzuki included the Garmin gauges/displays, plus a Garmin GPS puck antenna. The GMI's then calculated mpg.

The same thing is accomplished by adding a MFD with an internal GPS antenna.

Some people still will want to use a GPS puck antenna even though they have a MFD - this is often because they have a boat with a hardtop that means the MfD's internal antenna doesnt get a very good view of the satellites. So placing the puck up high with a clear unobstructed view of the sky maximises position accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                X