X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mist of oil in intake silencer

Hi all,

Looking for some info if possible.

My 2012 df200 with 180 hours on it has maybe got an issue and looking for some advice.

Cut a long story short, same shop always services it and about 6 months ago I pulled the hood after a day out to clean motor and noticed light traces of oil around the intake silencer/plastic cover on top of the throttle body.

I got it back from shop yesterday after service and the mech commented was still some very light oil misting in the intake silencer again but not sure if it was missed from cleaning before or if it has come back again, although if it has it is perhaps lighter than before as I didn't notice it in the intake silencer this time.....and I am a nosey git with my engine

Is it normal to have some light misting in that intake in certain conditions? The engine is in warranty for another 6 months so I want to know if I should do anything else or worrying for no reason.

For the record, max rpm is 5950rpm and I normally sit at 3500-3800rpm when in use, it is never sitting at idle other than to get upto temp and not used for fishing etc. It spends most of its life at rpm above.

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there so looking for your help please folks if this is normal.
    Last edited by dubrus; 03-27-2017, 04:33 PM.

I don't think it's at all unusual to see just a little oil filming on the intake. I have some film on the throttle body and around where the breather tube enters the silencer. Shouldn't be a lot of it, but I don't think any engine is going to be completely free of oil filming at the intake.
    There's never enough to see any oil usage between oil changes.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

My 2011 DF200 also leaks oil to the plastic cover above the throttle body.
      I just installed a catch can on my car and was thinking of this would fit on a outboard.

Here is a link about catch cans: Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!

Chris

Comment

thanks both for input.

i'm glad i am not alone

i don't know why there isn't an oil catch can on this, i assume it isn't really needed and given it is a very thin film of oil it isn't doing anything but keeping the top of the block from corroding

i'll keep an eye on it and report back if i see anything concerning.
        Last edited by dubrus; 03-27-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

oil in intake

Isn't that just part of the Emissions controll. Excess fumes and gasses are sent back into the combustion chamber to be burnt and sent out the exhaust

Comment

Basically, yes, sort of. Also to keep any oil drops due to crankcase pressure buildup to be routed to the intake rather than into the water.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X