Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine Break in.

Hello all you Gurus of the Suzuki!

I am set to pick up a new 2017 Avalon tritoon with a Suzuki 200 ATL on Friday. Dealer is about 6 hours from my home, and 4 hours from where we keep the boat on the TN river. With this in mind I wanted to spend the weekend there and run the boat for the first 3 hours of break in per Suzuki manual. Given the current forecast of a low Saturday night of 32, 100% chance of rain and likely mixing with snow... I plan now to pick it up Friday, Wet test and get back home.

Problem is... I want to make sure this engine is set-up properly and has the correct prop. To do this I need to run it at WOT for a short burst and check max RPM. Is it safe to do this before the first 2 hours at 3K, and next hour at 4K period has elapsed. I do not want to ruin my warranty!

Thanks all,
    Don
    2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

My DF300AP had in the manual a 10 hour break-in period with rather fast high RPM times.
    One thing has to be clear, you should NOT run the engine for more than a minute or two at WOT and i would do this after 2 hours.
    It seems that Suzuki want from the beginning load on the engine, but not for sustained time as ypu should vary the RPM's frequently.
    This is what is in the DF300AP manual is written, your engine break-in may be different!
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrigelKarrer View Post
      My DF300AP had in the manual a 10 hour break-in period with rather fast high RPM times.
      One thing has to be clear, you should NOT run the engine for more than a minute or two at WOT and i would do this after 2 hours.
      It seems that Suzuki want from the beginning load on the engine, but not for sustained time as ypu should vary the RPM's frequently.
      This is what is in the DF300AP manual is written, your engine break-in may be different!
      Chris
      Thanks Chris,

From what I have read online, my manual has similar requirements. First 15 min. idle in gear. Next 1:45 no more than 3,000 rpm. Next 1 hr no more than 4,000 Rpm. Up to 10 hours only 5 minutes of WOT. AND vary rpms frequently during all phases of the first 10 hours.

I just want to get a WOT run to see what RPM she turns to verify dealer installed correct pitched prop. Getting back over there or shipping a prop back and forth could be a real pain.
      2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

Comment

Even though the manual says wait two hours for full rpms. Most mechanics will open it up during the first few minutes during the "test run". You will also find many engineers online who say the first 20 minutes is key to seating rings. Many preach opening it up sooner then the Suzuki manual reads. Again short bursts.

Comment

Working...
        X