Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF200 2007 - Overheat only at idle

Hello guys,

I have a problem with my engine Suzuki DF 200 - 2007, which is that the engine at low revs or idle sometimes the temperature jumps up and the temperature alarm comes. Specifically, only one of the two cylinder banks overheats and the sensor trips for the temperature on the exhaust at 104 degrees celsius. Obviously all the basic things like thermostats, impeller and seat, water overpressure valve have been checked but we cannot trace the problem back. According to the mechanic there is an accumulation of exhaust gases in the water pipes, because the problem often occurs when the engine is turned off and then on again. The temperature rises dramatically but if I manually accelerate above 1000 rpm the temperature immediately drops again. It doesn't seem like a sensor problem because the engine actually warms up.

Could you give me some suggestions? We are really in trouble! I have read some other topic but I don't understand what I can do / check about this problem.

Thank you
    Mattia

Do you have shop manual? I had some overheating issues and I traced it down to one of the supply tubing. With the manual you see the route of the water tubing and verify each one has water coming out. You can use supply water with external wash out feature. I don't remember if I had to pull thermostat. I assume I did. I also found that a water jacket on the front of the engine was mostly plugged, due to getting high centered in mud. The oulet tubing coming from front of engine was only a trickle. The inlet supply had pressure. Equals plugged water jacket

It is apparent the higher rpm's give higher water pressure and cool the motor better. Troubleshooting 102, after water pump is replaced verify supply tubing.

Comment

Ok Briscoe thanks for the tips, my mechanic took a look at the tubes but I'm not sure he checked them all well. We also washed with aggressive products to avoid any limescale obstructions. In any case, I will tell him to give it a thorough look by following the manual. Now I have also called an official Suzuki mechanic for a more thorough diagnosis but he has already told me that he has never seen anything like it.

Was your problem similar to mine? The thing I can't understand is that my engine occasionally has this problem and sometimes it doesn't, the only way to make it happen is to turn it off and on again, the engine empties the residual water of the ducts and when it is restarted usually always it overheats quickly at idle.

Comment

Mine never went into shutdown. I did get a few high temp beeps, when coming down off WOT on hot days. I could feel the heat in the top of my motor through the cover. I had issues with plugged tubing on two separate things, some years apart. They both had to do with water supply tubing being plugged. both were self inflicted wounds. One from some marine epoxy I used on the metal insert you stick inside the water pump case. I used a little to much and a small piece plugged line that supplied the back of the engine. That was my worst, self inflicted uh oh. But the one that plugged the water jacket and the front of the engine was the one I kept getting random high temp alarms coming off WOT. Summer was when it started showing up pretty bad and then I pretty quickly looked at cause and discovered.

I just think this is the next step that needs to be done to rule out erroneous issue. If the water is getting everywhere, then you have issues. You may very well solve this.

Comment

Did you replace all water pump components ? Should always do the full kit when servicing the water pump.

There have been similar cases reported where there was the slightest warp or invisible damage to parts 2 or 5 in the pump causing pressure issues. Parts I am referring to are listed in the link.

https://www.boats.net/product/suzuki...ba811024d3cd23

Comment

you should have your mechanic check with Suzuki and see if your oil pan was built on one of the periods that the internal coatings on the oil pan were not done correctly. causing holes in the casing via corrosion to the point it eats through the wall and dumps fresh water back into the exhaust water
            there were two holes in my '06 175 . one was behind the cover plate where the wash down hose connects.
            at higher rom there was enough pressure to cool but as soon as you idled back it would overheat
            Art

Comment

briscoe Yes sure, I'll talk to my mechanic better because the first check he did was on the water pipes, I'm sure he checked those of the engine foot but not the others.

Moonlighter Yes all water pump components have been replaced and checked several times. Although the problem arose right after the annual routine maintenance. I don't understand if it was just a coincidence or not.

artdf175 Thanks for your intervention Art, your problem is very similar to what I am experiencing in my engine. I will immediately tell the mechanic to check that area.

Comment

Hi artdf175 How did you solve your problem? Did you have the aluminum plate welded? My mechanic told me there is a lot of maintenance work to get into that oil pan air ....

Comment

yes it is a major problem. replaced the oil pan with a new one. The problem was that the oil pan was not made correctly so just trying to patch it ultimately would have another problem

Comment

Hello Guys

Just an update, after opening the lower unit, the mechanic found the tube that rises from the foot to the heads visibly corroded. the oil pan and lower unit appear to be in very good condition, so we only changed the hose and various seals. The engine has been refitted and seems to run smoothly and smoothly. I hope everything goes well because this maintenance intervention cost a lot of money. Here some photos, thank you everyone for the help!

1.jpeg5.jpeg
                    Attached Files

Comment

https://vimeo.com/user128486715/revi...664/6b50a170a7

Comment

Working...
                      X