1998 DT 140 GPM Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT 140 GPM Question

Now that I replaced the broken reeds and my 140 is running sweet, I have a question for someone with the same motor.
    Do you know what I can expect for GPM in the DT 140?
    This assuming a mild throttle of say, 30-35 MPH.
    The 18' Lund Fisherman I have the 140 mounted on has a 32 gallon tank and I am curious what kind of range I can estimate.
    Thanks

I run a 4 stroke 140 with a 20'-4" boat, deep V center console. Running 5500 ram's I get 4 + miles average. I think there are times I can get 6 miles, but current and wind have such a large effect. My numbers are conservative. I haven't done an exact check in several years. I prefer not to run a full tank of gas = 60 gallons. I try and keep a half tank. I know there is a lot of discussion about ethanol absorbing water while it sits in a tank. I have never had issue in a dozen years. I change my fuel separator every season. There is an extemely small amount of actual air volume moving in and out of a tank equalling an infinitesimal amount of actual water, when it breathes in hot and cold air while sitting.
    For you're 18 fter 30 -34 mph should be 5000 rpms if you're propped properly. I imagine you can get better than me, for sure.
    I would be interested how others mileage is.

Comment

The OP has a 2-stroke engine and his fuel economy is going to be nowhere near what we get from our 4 strokes!

I wouldnt want to guess, maybe someone else with a DT model could provide info on their experience.

Comment

Wait, what?
        Do I understand you saying I can expect less than 4 MPG running @ 5000 RPM?
        That seems pretty low to me?

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
          I run a 4 stroke 140 with a 20'-4" boat, deep V center console. Running 5500 ram's I get 4 + miles average. I think there are times I can get 6 miles, but current and wind have such a large effect. My numbers are conservative. I haven't done an exact check in several years. I prefer not to run a full tank of gas = 60 gallons. I try and keep a half tank. I know there is a lot of discussion about ethanol absorbing water while it sits in a tank. I have never had issue in a dozen years. I change my fuel separator every season. There is an extemely small amount of actual air volume moving in and out of a tank equalling an infinitesimal amount of actual water, when it breathes in hot and cold air while sitting.
          For you're 18 fter 30 -34 mph should be 5000 rpms (Yes, I'm running a Michigan Wheel Match 3 blade 13X19 I'm right in that RPM range) if you're propped properly. I imagine you can get better than me, for sure.
          I would be interested how others mileage is.
          Briscoe,
          Thanks for the input.

Comment

my previous boat was a 1750 Fish Hawk, 130hp 2 Stroke Yamaha, so close. 38mph cruise @ 4000RPM would produce 5 mpg (Imperial) so 4 mpUSg roughly.

Bigger Boat with a DF140, 30mph Cruise at 4100 RPM gets 8 1/2mpg (Imperial).

Comment

Originally posted by D'oh999 View Post
              my previous boat was a 1750 Fish Hawk, 130hp 2 Stroke Yamaha, so close. 38mph cruise @ 4000RPM would produce 5 mpg (Imperial) so 4 mpUSg roughly.

Bigger Boat with a DF140, 30mph Cruise at 4100 RPM gets 8 1/2mpg (Imperial).
              Thank you for the response
              Looks like 3-4 MPG is avg. for less than WOT?
              If anyone else is getting better than this please let me know.

Comment

Working...
              X