Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with new C10 gauge

Happy new year all,
    I changed over from an analog to the suzuki c10 gauge, currently the gauge powers up off the nmea backbone, but the engine doesn't show up in the network settings.
    I did a quick search and pulled everything off my nmea backbone except for the interface module and the gauge and reset everything multiple times with no luck. I also changed the plug at the motor to the grey plug as people have explained in other threads. I'm attaching some photos of what I have done and I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

PXL_20201230_210227976.jpgPXL_20201230_205958408.jpgPXL_20201230_210049012.MP_1.jpgPXL_20201230_205935823_1.jpgPXL_20201230_205917331_1.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help.

Its really difficult to say what is wrong. The photos dont show enough to tell anything really. We would need to see the whole network backbone in one photo, end to end to see if it looks right.

Also you didnt say what engine year you have this connected to - and that is the important starting point for the system - it is critical that the interface cable version matches with the engine year. The 3.5.4 cable shown in your photo is for 2013 and newer engine only. It wont work properly (or in some cases, at all) with older engines, depending on how old.

Anyway, below is a link to our forum resource on setting up Suzuki engine NMEA2000 networks. It explains, in the paper attached to the first thread, how this has to be set up in order to work properly.

I suggest that you read that paper and make sure you have the network backbone set up correctly, and then come back with any questions after doing that.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

Comment

Thanks I read through the article and I don't see anything in there that I have wrong. The engine is a 2020 suzuki 60 hp.
      Here is a photo of the complete backbone. I tried each separately and all together with no difference in result. The garmin gps also receives no engine information
      Attached Files

Comment

OK that backbone looks ok. And the interface version is correct for a 2020 engine.

If the Suzuki interface is not being recognised on the network (eg it is not appearing on any device list) then the reasons could include:

- the interface is not connected to the correct plug on the engine. If you have completely removed the analogue gauges, and are connecting the interface cable to the harness behind the dash, then the harness connection at the engine end has to be swapped from the standard ecu plug to the SDS plug. SDS plug sends NMEA2000 data thru the harness to the plugs behind the dash.

- could be a fault in the engine harness a bad connection of damaged wire.

- engine key must be turned on otherwise the interface wont be seen.

- may be a DOA interface cable or one that is wired wrong but that is rare.

- may be a DOA network T piece. Does happen. Swap the interface cable to the known good T piece eg that the Garmin display is plugged into and see if that helps.

Comment

Dont go resetting things willy nilly. Not going to be helpful, and may mess stuff up.

If the physical connections are done correctly, its very much plug n play.

Use the C-10 menu, and with the key turned on, go menu/settings/network/devices and you should see all network devices that are active listed there.

If the Garmin is turned on, you will therefore see listed:

The C-10 itself
          The Garmin
          The Suzuki interface.

The same devices should be listed on the Garmin’s network device list.

If they both see everything except the Suzuki interface, then the problem is going to be a physical issue as per my previous post. If the Garmin and C-10 dont see ANY other devices, then its probably a network backbone issue, eg a bad T piece or network cable probably.

Check that the SDS connection is firmly plugged in. Check that the interface cable itself is plugged firmly into the 4 pin plug behind the dash. Make sure there are no loose or broken wires or bent or loose pins in any of those plugs while you are there. Make 100% sure at the engine end that the harness is connected to the SDS plug, its the one that is held in the rubber holder when not in use.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-02-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

If all that is good, try shifting all devices over onto that 4 way T piece. Leave the power T on the end, take the other T off and put the terminating resistor on the open end of the power T. This simplifies the network backbone to just the one multi- T.

Comment

Will try it out this weekend when I get back to boat, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X