Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Evinrude 4T DF50 Evinsuki Stator or rectifier fault? ( not charging )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Evinrude 4T DF50 Evinsuki Stator or rectifier fault? ( not charging )

This post is to share experience and at the same time check if "im in the right direction.
    Last trip, engine was charging properly at 14V. Due to some heating issues, engine head was pulled apart, and put back together.
    After re-assembly, I went to start the engine to check prior to going into the water that engine fired and all that.
    Before starting, the system buzzes and goes thru the different panel warning lights for checkup. It did it this time, but after starting, It did it again. I did noticed it but since it didn't give me any fixed alarms I just noted it but didn't do anything, it did it the 3 times y fired the engine.
    This morning I went to test the boat, and noticed that this time the engine only did the check one time, buzz, lights and that was it, fired ok, and no other buzz or checkup. But I noticed that the engine was not charging the battery, running at 12V fixed.
    Reading thru the manual, I learned that, during the self diagnosis cycle if the ECM detects an issue with the rectifier, it sends that second alarm I was talking about. but only due to 2 parameters, resistance in the rectifier-regulator and/or ECM receiving 16V or more (being not regulated voltage).

So I disconnected the stator plug and decided to check on each of the 3 phase cables for the output voltage coming out of it, it read 16.2 in all of them (A.C.)
    Then, checking at the positive coming out of the rectifier-regulator (5 cable regulator, 3 coming in from the stator, 1 ground 1 positive to the battery), i Was only getting 1V,
    I checked with a multimeter the voltage drop across the diodes inside the rectifier, and I got that all of them are working properly, checking among the different cables, i was constantly getting 0.44v, between line in from stator to the positive going out of the rectifier regulator, and 0L in the other direction, and 0.77v when going from the negative to the positive (seeing all diodes in parallel).
    So apparently diodes are working, but i guess the capacitors inside the regulator are not or something else is wrong inside.... Can anyone confirm???

What I think is that the day that I was getting the 2 alarms, the rectifier was about to fail, probably letting go the full 16V coming from the stator which the ECM self diagnosed and send the alarm. Once it failed, and due to the logic of the self diagnosis (16V or higher, but not lower) logic, it stopped sending the alarms.
    I also checked that the ground at the rectifier had continuity to the ground in the battery, so ground dont seem to be an issue.

Can someone confirm that the 16V coming out of the stator is a good value??? (all at idle) and my theories??

THank you!
Working...
X