Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIS firmware upgrade or downgrade

Hello,
    My company just bought a Landing Craft with a pair for of DF300s. I am mechanical engineer and have worked with a lot of different systems but never with Suzuki.
    Doing some troubleshooting we ended up replacing one of the SMIS. After installing the new stuff is when the problems started! :-)

I am getting the "Check remote Key ", "Keyless Unit Battery Low", "Check engine 9 - 4", "Check engine 9 - 5" alarms that after doing some research in this forum is seems the I have firmware incompatibilities within the SMIS.

The old one and still working fine has smis ver.2.40 and the new one has ver. 2.60

Form what Ive read I have to upgrade the old one or down grade the new one.

I have and USB to NMEA 2k adapter/interface I can use to tap into the NMEA2k network if the one I have does not work I can just by a good one. Also found and downloaded the firmware files. What I have not been able to find is the HDS emulator for PC. I dont have a Lowrence HDS.

I have seen this topic to come pretty often but not really with and answer.

Thanks for the advise!

Ok, lets be clear about exactly what you replaced - was it ONLY the round 4” Suzuki digital gauge, or something else? Or the gauge as well as the Interface cable?

And yes, this system must have components matched to the MY of the engine. It all flows from the engine year, and the interface cable software must align to the engine year, then the SMIS gauges software must align to the Interface software. If they aren’t all aligned, then yes weird and bad things happen.

Here is a link to a file in my dropbox folder which is a screen shot from the old Suzuki/Lowrance page that shows which software versions align with which engines. I have copies of most of the software files and can send to you if you need them. And maybe some older ones too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iflmaoiml0...sions.pdf?dl=0

I couldnt find an exe file for the HDS emulator. I may have one somewhere on my PC though, if you are really desperate let me know I will have a look. Otherwise you need to contact Navico/Lowrance CS and ask for someone that knows the Suzuki networking stuff they should be able to send you a copy of the emulator program.

You cant upload Suzuki network device software via Suzuki SDS disgnostic software on the laptop, it has to be done via the HDS emulator, which you will need relevant cables to go from laptop to connect to the NMEA2000 network. Ive never done it because I have HDS and Simrad displays.

The easiest way it can be done is via any HDS or Elite ti model Lowrances, or via any Simrad NSS, NSE or GO series displays. The newer Suzuki C-10 or Simrad IS-35 gauge displays can also do it, and they’re very easy because they dont need a separate power connection, just plug them into the network and off you go, they have a usb plug on the back that you connect a usb stick to with the software file saved on it. For any of these, you just have to temporarily attach them to the network while you do the upload and can then take them off.

Its as simple as copy the file to a SD card or usb stick for C10 (but the sd card must be no greater than 32gb capacity of the units wont read it) plug the card into the unit, turn the network (engine key) on, then locate the file in the unit’s menu, select it and hit upload. Wait while it uploads.

One REALLY important point though is that if there are multiple of the same devices (eg if you have several SMIS GAUGES) in the network, you MUST unplug the ones that are not being updated from the network when you run the update, otherwise it will try to update them all at once and this will crash the upload. Once the update has been completed you can plug the other devices back in.

Comment

Moonlighter thanks for your very detailed respose!

Hope the following info makes sense as I have 2 difderent year engines judging from the serial

Port engine 30002P-61xxxx 2016. new Lm-400 ver2.6.0 / eng interfase ver 2.9.0 (still have the old eng interface if needed)

Stbd engine 30002Z-11xxxx 2011. old Lm-400 ver2.4.0 / eng interface ver 2.5.0

Based on this not sure what version should I flash.

The procedure seems pretty straight forward. I have done similar in the past with Yanmar interfaces ans displays.

I you find the emulator you can PM the Db link if you want. This way you would save the trouble of having to find and borrow one of these MFDs.

Thanks again!

Comment

Ok.

just as an fyi, NMEA2000 is the outboard world’s version of the automotive industry’s can-bus.

First, please contact your local Suzuki dealer and quote them the engine serial numbers and ask then to verify the model years that they are. I think your year assessment is right, but this is so important that we dont want any mistakes.

The 2016 engine.
        The 2016 engine needs to have an engine interface cable running version 3.5.4 software. If you recently purchased a new version 2.9 cable, it should actually be V 2.9.4 and this will be marked on the black module (about the size of a memory stick). Version 2.9 will not work properly with a 2016 engine. So the good news is that we can flash the 2.9 cable to run the V3.5.4 software if you can get the HDS/Simrad availability sorted out. Or the emulator. I will go have a look on my PC to see if I may have it. Not sure, have a feeling I saw the exe file there somewhere.

Lastly this engine interface version runs best with SMIS Sw version 2.7.5.

The 2011 engine.
        For the 2011 engine, interface version 2.5 is fine, I run it on my 2010 engine. It goes good on engines up to at least 2012. So I would leave that one alone.
        Lastly this engine year runs best with SMIS Sw version 2.6.0.

(Side note: the earlier versions of the interface cable that run software up to version 2.8 are greatly sort after because they can be flashed back down to v 2.3 which is the one required for engines before 2008. They sell for twice the $ of a new cable. So hang onto that old cable ypu removed if its one of them. They usually have 2 big round noise resistors on them).

The Round 4” SMIS digital displays
        The problem here is that the displays (and I use that description intentionally) are not attached to an engine in the way that old style gauges are eg where gauge #1 is physically connected to the harness of 1 engine and gauge 2 is connected to the other. These displays are connected to the network backbone and then configured to display data from whatever source or sources are required. The sources of engine data, in this case the engine interface cables, are also attached to the network. Each display can show data from either or both engines. Google for a SMIS manual on how you can set each display up to show data from one or the other engine.

So I am concerned that having engines with such disparate years and thus radically different interface software may well cause issues with the SMIS displays ..... you’ve got one gauge running later software and the other running newer software on the same network. I just dont know how thats going to pan out. Its not that often you come across a boat with engines from such different vintages.

Although I think that the main cause of all those false codes is going to be the incorrect interface software currently running on the 2016 engine.

So i would suggest sticking with the good old established method- lets fix the core issue (the interface software) first, and see where that leaves us.

Then if the gauges work Ok, leave them alone. If they dont, then it might be a guessing game as to whether you downgrade or upgrade them both to get some stability. But, fix one thing at a time, then re test is always the best approach, as you would know given your engineering background.

Next, given my earlier description of the network, whenever physical changes are made to a network device eg you replace one interface or SMIS with a new or different one, even if its the same thing, network data sources need to be reset because all devices have unique identifiers. And, when core devices such as interfaces are changed, overall network configuration needs to be reviewed and possibly updated.

The interface cables themselves have to be configured to tell them which engine they are communicating with and so other devices know whats going on.

Long and short - it needs to be done properly or stuff dont work, or dont work reliably. You can use the SMIS displays to do these network and interface configuration tasks.

Please, Have a read of the paper I wrote attached to the thread at the link following. It explains the whole Suzuki system and network setup and configuration requirements in some detail.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

Comment

Found a folder with HdS emulator files.. saved it to my dropbox.

Here is a link to the folder you should be able to download it from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/um9o15c0l...IxrLwrH4a?dl=0

good luck!

Comment

Hello Moonlighter, thanks very much for your very detailed post. I didn't write back earlier as I did not have the change to get to boat myself. I tried connect on Sunday via my old Sys Tech Module, Can Interface you I think is just not reading anything or at least not compatible with HDS since I was not able to pull up the "device list"

Is there any preferred NMEA 2K-USB interface by HDS Emulator Software?

I was looking on amazon to a NMEA 2000 to Brand: Yacht Devices "USB Gateway (DeviceNet Connector w/Male USB)" not sure if this would be a good option!

Quick Link to my NMEA 2k interface for reference:
            https://ibb.co/r5q2fQV

Thanks again!!

Comment

I have always had Simrad or Lowrance displays on my network, or an old HDS5 that I could hook up to help friends so ive not used the emulator software, so sorty, cant help you any further re that.

Seriously it would be easier to get an old HdS and temporarily hook it up to do all this stuff!

Comment

aponzada , if you are interested in selling your old interface cable and the software version is 2.8 or older, please PM me.

Comment

Hello iddieni,

UPDATE:
                  I was not able to connect to the nmea network via the HDS Emulator Software. I ended up buying another complete kit with 4" gauge and new interface. To my surprise after some testing I was able to get rid of the errors after having my to new 4" gauges with the old interfaces.

So, long story short I am still using my old interfaces. New ones I am keeping for stock.

Comment

Glad you managed to get everything working...

So the search continues! The mess they created with these software versions is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X