Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT40 Rough Idle - Help is very Appreciated

Hi Everyone, new member here

I just purchased a 1976 13' Boston Whaler, and it came with a Suzuki DT40 on the back. This Zuke is in pristine shape. It is fully shiny and clean, all of the zinc platings are still intact and the wiring is perfect. However, it is not without its issues. The boat has new accessories, such as a new battery, new control box, new fuel tank, fuel line, and primer bulb. The motor will start and run beautifully. However, once I return the idle back down to base idle, it will start to spit and sputter every once in a while. It usually never shuts off, but sometimes it will. The motor will ALWAYS sputter when returned to idle, even after being warm from a high-speed run. I will attach a video to show this. The carburetor is spotless. I have only worked on four strokes, not two strokes, and I am scared that I will lean the mixture out too much and kill the engine. For this reason, I have not touched the mixture and speed screws. Please let me know what I can do to fix this issue since it will be for a coach boat for a sailing squadron this summer.

(In the video, the spitting and sputtering starts at around 00:07)
    Mike P - USCG Certified Captain and Avid Boater
Working...
X