No announcement yet.

NEMA 2000 Network Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed source was set wrong, so you are right Moonlighter. Now everything is working as it should

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Fuel remaining or any other fuel measure that is a number is always sourced from the engine, (via the interface), not from a tank sender unit. The data from a tank sender can only be displayed on a bar graph or gauge, simply because it doesnt have any way to calculate numerical figures.

But yes, it is a data source issue. Should be easily fixed unless something very strange is going on.
      Interesting, in my particular setup the default remaining fuel source is tank sender.

I have a pesky "check sum error" failure that forces me to reconfigure the vessel setup on the SMIS gauge as well as all my pages and go through this procedure frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ritopaler View Post

Interesting, in my particular setup the default remaining fuel source is tank sender.

I have a pesky "check sum error" failure that forces me to reconfigure the vessel setup on the SMIS gauge as well as all my pages and go through this procedure frequently.

Are you sure that you have the network backbone set up correctly? Its easy to get it wrong... these are the key rules:

1. There Must be a terminating resistor at each end of the cluster of T’s.

2. Devices and power must only be attached to the leg of T’s

3. no more than 6 meters long drop cable from a T to a device.

Comment

New to me twin Suzuki 2007 DF150s with the SMIS gauges. Trying to interface with Simrad GO7. I have the reverse K8 cable on the starboard motor and the other interface cable on the port motor. Ran both to the NMEA 2000 bus via 10meter NMEA cables. Turn the port motor key on and the Simrad and the SMIS gauges see it as the starboard motor. Every time I change it to port, it reverts back to starboard. Turn the starboard key on and neither the Simrad nor the SMIS gauges recognize the motor. I get the no devices detected on bus. The left key starts port motor, trims port motor etc so confident the harnesses are not reversed. The SMIS gauges are the older style with the blue Lowrance connectors. The port motor interface cable also has the old style connector. I purchased the adapter cables to connect to my micro NMEA bus that controls my autopilot and interfaces with the Simrad.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Grady View Post
            New to me twin Suzuki 2007 DF150s with the SMIS gauges. Trying to interface with Simrad GO7. I have the reverse K8 cable on the starboard motor and the other interface cable on the port motor. Ran both to the NMEA 2000 bus via 10meter NMEA cables. Turn the port motor key on and the Simrad and the SMIS gauges see it as the starboard motor. Every time I change it to port, it reverts back to starboard. Turn the starboard key on and neither the Simrad nor the SMIS gauges recognize the motor. I get the no devices detected on bus. The left key starts port motor, trims port motor etc so confident the harnesses are not reversed. The SMIS gauges are the older style with the blue Lowrance connectors. The port motor interface cable also has the old style connector. I purchased the adapter cables to connect to my micro NMEA bus that controls my autopilot and interfaces with the Simrad.
            Several issues to be addressed here.... and really its so confusing I dont know where to start, but anyway, here are some things to check.

I am assuming that you have reverse K8 SDS adapter cables plugged into interface cables on both engines. Eg each engine needs its own interface cable. And since they are both pre-2008, they would both need reverse K8 adapters unless someone has changed SDS plugs on one of them. So please confirm that first up.

I am also assuming (always dangerous) that you have the network backbone set up correctly with a terminating resistor at each end. See the comments I have made to others earlier in this thread in that regard. Check and confirm that back to me please as well.

Now, with those things in place......

1. The drop cables from a network T to devices, in this case, the Suzuki engine interface cables, cannot be longer than 6 meters. You said 10 meters. Too long. Data comms issues. 6 meters is max as per NMEA2000 standards. My recommendation to fix this is to extend the SDS adapter cables so they reach from the engines, thru the rigging tube and all the way up to the dash area. Just cut the cables, solder and heat shrink in a length of marine wire of similar gauge to the adapter cable wires.

The only other way is to leave the adapters short, plug the interface cables into them down at the stern, then connect them to their 2 x T’s and a terminating resistor at that location, and run a long single network extension cable up to the side of a T in the cluster behind the dash. this method however means that sensitive interface cables and T’s live somewhere in the transom area where it can be damp, dirty and hot. Not ideal by any means. Hence my recommendation to extend the SDS adapter cables.

2. the network is typically powered by connection of the power node to the engine wiring harness. It sounds like yours is wired to the port engine harness so whenever it is turned on, the network has power. With the port engine off, the network loses power and therefore when the starboard engine is turned on the network is not powered and so nothing communicates. Anyway you need to figure out where the network power node is connected to power + and - and make sure it has power when either/both engine keys are turned on. You can, if you wish, connect the network power to a separate switch that is independent of the engine harnesses. Mine is done that way. There must only be 1 network power connection!! Not one per engine. One only, for the whole backbone.

3. When you have sorted the network power issue out, and after sorting the interface cable connection to the network out as per point #1, the first job is to configure the network so it knows how many engines are on the network and which motor is which. This is how:

- turn the network power on and both engine keys on. Engines dont need to be running but key must be at the “on” position.
            - turn the Simrad on. In the Simrad menu, open settings then scroll down to fuel. Under fuel you will see 3 choices, being fuel used, refuel and vessel setup. Open vessel setup. Use the dropdown menu to set the vessel arrangements to match your boat eg 2 engines and 2 tanks. Set the total fuel capacity. Save and exit.
            - then open settings again, and scroll down to Network. Open the device list. You should now see 2 x Suzuki engines, and however many SMIS gauges that are fitted and connected to the network. And the Simrad itself.
            - scroll down and select one of the Suzuki engines, if you want, turn the other engine key off so you only have one engine listed and you know which one it is. Select that engine from the device list and select Configure. A screen pops up. check the details there and write down the software version and report back here the version details, we need to know that because its important to have the correct version to suit your engines.

- while in that screen, Use the dropdown to set engine location to the correct position eg either Port or Starboard. You can also give the engine a name in the box provided. Use the drop-downs to set engine year and hp. Save and exit.

- then repeat this with the other engine.

I would add that the old blue/grey Lowrance T’s are notoriously unreliable, they fail due to water incursion often, and also just fail for unknown reasons.

Now you should have both engine’s data available on the Simrad instruments page (the page that looks like a dashboard).

See how you go with that and let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
              Thanks. All good points. I will check them out today.
              I would also recommend that you read the paper attached to the fist post on this thread, it explains the Suzuki networking in detail and will help you greatly to understand this stuff.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

I would also recommend that you read the paper attached to the fist post on this thread, it explains the Suzuki networking in detail and will help you greatly to understand this stuff.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks
                Hey Moonlighter i've followed ypur threads about this topic. Im new to all of these. I havent been able to see your attachments, dunno why, they wont show, (would you mind sending me your paper to gerardo.guzmanlozano@gmail.com ?).
                i want to connect tye multifunction gauge and a garmin device. Let me know if I got it right..right with the following (single engine df60a) From the engine with the SdS harness and the adapter connect that to A nmea T's array.
                that same nmea T's array, connect a T to the ignition power source .
                with another T, connect the multifunction gauge to the nmea array (so you know which part number is needed for this cable and connectors?)
                And with another T, connect the garmin to the nmea array.
                I'm right?? The multifunction gauge has a harness with a 8pin connector to it, that should be left aside?? O connected there to receive the fuel tank signal? I also see that that harness has 2 wires to power up the nmea Network, and diagram says that it should be connected to the engine harness, but i dont see where to connect that little harness to the engine harness, to the old tach connector??

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pandilucciano View Post

Hey Moonlighter i've followed ypur threads about this topic. Im new to all of these. I havent been able to see your attachments, dunno why, they wont show, (would you mind sending me your paper to gerardo.guzmanlozano@gmail.com ?).
                  i want to connect tye multifunction gauge and a garmin device. Let me know if I got it right..right with the following (single engine df60a) From the engine with the SdS harness and the adapter connect that to A nmea T's array.
                  that same nmea T's array, connect a T to the ignition power source .
                  with another T, connect the multifunction gauge to the nmea array (so you know which part number is needed for this cable and connectors?)
                  And with another T, connect the garmin to the nmea array.
                  I'm right?? The multifunction gauge has a harness with a 8pin connector to it, that should be left aside?? O connected there to receive the fuel tank signal? I also see that that harness has 2 wires to power up the nmea Network, and diagram says that it should be connected to the engine harness, but i dont see where to connect that little harness to the engine harness, to the old tach connector??

Thanks!
                  Best to start a new thread please, this one is well off track to what the original started as.

When you do that please be clear about which multifunction gauge you are using, if its the Suzuki one with rounded corners please say so. The C-10 on the others hand has squared off corners.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. After studying your post and doing the research you suggested here’s where I’m at. I removed the 10 meter cables, relocated for troubleshooting the Simrad and SMIS gauges to the transom area.

Port motor has interface cable V 2.3 with the blue Lowrance connector and an adapter cable to attach to the micro NMEA bus. The Starboard motor has the reverse K8 adapter with V 2.9.4 interface cable with the black micro NMEA connector . Fired up Simrad, verified fuel settings as suggested. Turned port key on, went to sources page and it’s shows Suzuki interface Starboard. Turned off port key, turned on starboard key, nothing populates. Switched cables and installed the 2.3 cable to the starboard motor, turned key and it populates normally. Started starboard motor, SMIS and Simrad work perfectly. Turn port motor on, which now has V2.9.4 with the reverse cable, no data.

I bought these motors as a set with all rigging and cabling included. I did a sea trial on the engines on the sellers boat and everything worked normal. His network was the old style blue Lowrance system and my existing network is the newer black micro network.

Comment

I am unclear from your reply if you followed my advice to configure each of the engines as port and starboard?? See point 3 in my earlier reply. After doing the fuel menu settings, you need to configure each engine correctly.

Its really hard to diagnose this stuff remotely ......

I still think you need to first, establish where the network power wires are connected, and therefore what it is that is turning network power on and off. Devices will only appear on the device list when 2 things happen: first, the network must be piwered on, and second, the device or devices must be powered on.

There is another issue that bothers me, and that is that Suzuki says that Version 2.9.4 is for 2008 and newer engines. Although, if you trialled the boat and they were working before,nthen if. Connected properly, they should still work now.

You need to go one step at a time to figure this out and get it working.

Step 1 - figure that Network power supply issue out. It needs to have power when either/both of the engine keys are turned on.

Note: i have interconnected several networks between the old blue and the current small black micro c connectors without issue.

Comment

During the troubleshooting I did yesterday I mentioned moving the SMIS gauges and Lowrance to the transom area. I also disconnected my NMEA power source and connected the power source directly to my 12V aux battery. Verified battery voltage so I’m confident everything is powered correctly.

You again mentioned configuring the engines correctly. I can now configure the starboard motor so long as I have the v2.3 connected to the starboard motor. I cannot configure the port motor as it does not show up on the Device source list. On the port motor I now have the reverse K8 cable connected to the v2.9.4 interface cable. Turn port motor key on and it does not populate in the device list. Reading other posts looks as if V 2.9.4 is not always compatible with pre 2008 motors? That being said, I would gladly purchase a V2.3 cable, however those appear to be unavailable.

I can understand your frustration troubleshooting from afar, quite challenging to say the least. I greatly appreciate your time and patience.

Comment

One thing to check on the Port engine that you cannot get to show on the device list is that the engine harness at the engine end is connected to the correct plug. It may have been unplugged during the de-rigging and reconnected to the incorrect plug.

Has to be connected to the SDS plug on the engine, not to the standard ecu output plug. Compare with the Star engine where its connected.

Comment

By the way, I would stop swapping cables etc around from one engine to the other. Put them all back how they originally were when you tested the engines if possible. If I followed correctly, you seem to have shown that the old V 2.30 and whatever adapter it is used with works with either motor - I hope I have that correct.

The 2.9.4 cable is going to need the reverse K8 adapter to connect to the old engines. That is a small square plug (interface end) to a large round plug at the engine end.

What plug does the old 2.30 cable have on the engine end? If its a round plug then I guess its going to need a round to round adapter cable?

If the reverse K8/Version 2.9.4 cable is the problematic combination, have a close look at the plugs on those cables to see if there are any bent or loose pins, or wires that are loose or broken. Give them a wriggle/tug from the wire and see if there are any broken ones. They can be fixed by removing the relevant pin from the plug - there is a tiny tab from the front end that you lift at the same time as pulling the wire from the back.

Again I am assuming that the reverse K8 came with the motors as part of the deal?? And was working when first tested??

If not, I have heard of a couple that were wired wrong from the factory and wouldnt work.

Comment

Also, there are two ways to skin the cat when it comes to interconnecting a old Blue T network with a black micro C network.

The simplest way is to plug all of the devices that have blue connectors into blue T’s. Then run the blue to black adapter cable off the open end of an end blue T to the top of a new black T. Feom there use black T’s to connect the newer devices to black T’s. This way you only need 1 x network adapter cable. You will end up with an old blue terminating resistor on the blue end ofnthe backbone, and a black T on the end of the section of black T’s.

Comment

You are the man. Took K8 adapter off, took ohm meter to the pins, red wire open. Spliced wire, good to go. Adapter on order. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                                X