C10 and Fuel Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C10 and Fuel Readings

I would like assistance clarifying the values under the C10's fuel configuration menu.

I would like to configure a page with 4 data points. 2 for fuel consumed as calculated by the engine's ECU (Port and Starboard) and the other 2 for fuel remaining based on the fluid sensor.

I figure this way I can have somewhat of a redundant view of fuel remaining. However, i'm confused about Capacity vs. Fuel Level vs. Fuel remaining if they are all using the EP-65 fluid sensor (which is not very accurate as it stands).

Can someone please explain these and what would make for the best source of fuel consumed and remaining in these units (using 2 tanks of 100G each).

When I played with various settings and I've done more than my fare share of calibration steps, both for fluid sensor and the c10 (refill process), but i'm still dealing with a variance of 20% or more then I fill the tanks vs. what it states I have left or consumed.

I appreciate the assistance.
    Attached Files

The fluid level sensor is never going to be as accurate as the fuel used as calculated by the ecu, simply because you are still relying on the tank sender units and due to fuel sloshing around in the tanks, plus the angle of the boat, it will also have a marked effect on what the gauge shows.

Once set up and calibrated properly, the fuel data from the engines will be incredibly accurate, provided you remember to reset when you fill the tank, and provided you refill the tanks to a similar level of "fullness" each time. Try to use the same gas station and pump if you can is the best way to achieve this. But even then, it is hard to be out by more than 1-2%.

I am not familiar with the C-10 as we dont get them here in Aus, but the principles are the same as the SMIS gauge and also setting up gauges on a MFD screen.

Each "gauge" on a page you create has to be told where to look for the data it is going to display.

This is why, with twin engines, when you do the initial network configuration, you set it up as 2 engines/2fuel tanks and give each of them names. So now the network knows it has port engine with a 100 gallon tank and star engine with 100 gallon tank. The tanks are then associated with their engine.

So once set up properly, for the port engine fuel used gauge, you would select that gauge, go into menu, select data sources, then select the port engine as the data source. Same for the starboard engine fuel gauge.

Similarly, when you set up the tank senders you should name them as port and star tank, then you can select the gauge/bar you want to use for each gauge and again, go into menu, data sources, and select the correct data source for them to use. I dont think a tank level sender can give you x gallons remaining but it can be set up as a bar graph.

Im not familiar enough with the C-10 to know if you can set up a screen to show, say at the top, a "fuel used" number for each engine, and below them, bar graphs showing fuel levels for both from the tank level sensors. That would be the nicest way to show the data in my opinion. Would be better than 4 gauges which would be confusing.

Have a look at the manual and see if it gives you such an option.

Note: when you fill up the tanks, you would then go into the menu and do the refill process. If you fill all the way to full, you never enter in the amount added, you simoly select the "set to full" option. It is only when you want to calibrate that, after selecting set to full, you will be prompted to calibrate or not. Select calibrate, it then asks you to enter in the actual fuel added. You should only need to calibrate 3 or maybe 4 times max and your fuel data should then be very accurate.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-24-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response and advice. I'll rely on the ECU numbers to be safe. I'll also calibrate to full the fluid sensors next time I fill it up just to see if I can get it to normalize and stay close (as a back up).

I just want to ensure that I have at least 25g or so remaining so that I can contract the local fuel truck to fill her up. They have non ethanol 90 grade, but they'll only come if it meets their minimum gallons requirements. Certainly worth it, since they are about a dollar cheaper than the marina, which saves me about $175 when I reached this point to fill these tanks up.

Comment

The fuel consumption calculation is working very well and accurate but i also would prefer to have fuel sender gauges just for backup. I may get confused how much i filled and/or if i added the amount after refueling or gas ger stolen creating a undefined state of fuel in the tanks.
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X