Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Trouble 2011 Suzuki DF90

Hello everyone,

A couple of months ago I bought a used 2011 CS with a 2011 Suzuki DF90. Bought it from dealer who was selling on consignment. Took it for a test drive before signing paperwork. Boat ran great on test drive. This boat was bought at Chatlee Marine in NC and spent all of it's life at the coast of NC. I was a bit nervous about buying boat in saltwater but it was a good deal and was exactly what I wanted and in my price range.

Anyway, took boat out today (about 2 months since test drive) with family. Engine cranked fine and idle fine. When trying to accelerate I would get to 4000 rpms and then white smoke would come out and I would lose power. Stopped engine and made a couple of checks. Removed dip stick and oil came out to of dip stick. Dont feel like this was normal. Dipstick showed plenty of oil. While checking noticed that oil was still comin out of dipstick and that it had leaked down mid section of motor and had oil film on water. Put disptick back in and cranked engine. Rode around idle for a while since I had people out and we fished. Tried a couple more times to accelerate still same thing. After about 30 min of idling oil light came on rpm gauge but immediately turned back off. Then idled to boat ramp and picked up wife friend. At ramp oil light came on again stayed on. Turned engine off immediately and just used trolling motor to fish.

When I got home changed spark plugs, lower unit oil and then changed oil and oil filter. When pulling drain plug oil shot out very fast like there was alot of pressure. From my experience oil mostly comes out with a steady flow. This amount of oil coming out was enough to make a splash back in drain pan. Finished changing engine oil and filter. Anybody have any idea what would cause this and what I need to look at? Spark plugs were black and seemed rich when changing.

Bcooked sounds like that engine is making oil, simply saying fuel is entering the crankcase, and the white smoke you described my be excess fuel. Make sure you DO Not run engine when oil is over full. Fill to correct level and then keep an eye on the level. You May have fuel leaking past the engine rings, These engines need to be run at all rev rangers including run hard. Trolling at low idle to much does causes this as well as some other ways, but first you will need to determine if firstly this is the issue by monitoring the oil level

Comment

Yes check that the oil isnt badly diluted with fuel as Catacom says. The VST has a vent line hose that runs to the crankcase, if the float level if wrong or the VST is blocked up, fuel will run thru the line instead of vapor and into the crankcase. Take the vent hose off and start the engine, if you see fuel running out of this hose you know what the problem is.

Another possibility if oil is being pumped out of the dipstick, is the crankcase is possibly being pressurised.

You need to find out why. Head gasket, piston rings etc....

Compression test. Leakdown test.

Pull plugs and inspect. Look for one thats different.

Comment

Working...
      X