Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fault Codes for 2010 DF 140

Hey all

Recently had an issue with some bad fuel and clogged external racor fuel filter.

Long story short we ran out one morning and about 3 minutes into running at 5500RPM the motor died. Racor filter was full of water and crap. Cleaned it out but couldn't get the motor started again. Towed in, got the boat home and messed around with it for a bit chasing the fuel all the way to fuel pump to get out any airlocks. Finally got the motor going. Was running very rough for first few minutes and displayed an error code on controls Check Engine light 3-2 flashes with 3-2 beeps.

Shut it down, restarted much cleaner and the fault codes disappeared.

Seems to be running ok, although the the idle varies up to 400 rpm randomly. Also sounds a bit tinny in the exauhst.

Will replace primer bulb and fuel filter today to see if that stabilizes idling but wondering if that tinny sound from the exhaust is linked to the 3-2 code.

Bit gun shy taking the boat out until i have a bit more info... Currently have 15 foot tides and our boat ramp goes straight into the shipping channel of the busiest bulk export port in the world so a bit at risk if it ****s off on me!

Only one boat mechanic in town here in Hedland and he charges like a wounded bull so would like to have a bit of a play around and at least try to diagnose the issue before I send it to him and sign my next pay check away.

Cheers
    Rob

Rob, it sounds like the contaminated fuel may have gone thru to the vapor separation tank (VST).

Did you clean it out?

Once the Racor is full then the bad stuff gets right thru the fuel system. Did you also replace the filters in the fuel lines under the cowl?

Bad news about the mechanic in Headland.

But Im still envious of the fishing you get over there!

See how you go cleaning out the whole fuel system and replacing all those filters. If it still idles irregular after its all cleaned, may have a bad/clogged IAC valve. You can get aftermarket ones that are made by Mitsubishi (who make them for Suzuki) at a quarter the price of the Suzuki ones.

Just check part number and google for replacements. If you go to the top header of this forum and click on the red "Purchase Suzuki parts" heading and select your motor year, hp etc it takes you to a full parts breakdown and you will be able to find the IAC valve and get the part number.

If you need to order parts from Australia call Jon Eadie at Bayside Suzuki marine near me - Cleveland Qld. He will look after you.

Ive also ordered parts from this forum's parts section and got good service and prices, even considering the exchange rate!

Also, a list of fault codes is in the sticky threads at the top section of this forum.

Last strong recommendation: consider getting yourself a "Mr Funnel" fuel filter. They DO work exactly as advertised - seen it first hand.

Where you are, contaminated fuel could be a regular issue.

Lots of guys even here on the East Coast use a Mr Funnel and put the first 20 litres thru it to check to see if its clean - then fill up as normal if it is. But if they see water or rubbish in the funnel they stop filling and have words with the garage - and they have the evidence in the Mr Funnel to back up their concerns.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-25-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Rob
      Few things you didn't mention
      Assume you cleaned the on-line fuel filter
      If you had that much gunk I would probably take the low pressure pump apart to be sure something isn't stuck in the diaphragm
      Then the high pressure fuel pump and filter
      Then comes the fuel rail - would take the screw off the end and blow out that part from the high pressure pump
      Then would run a good amount of fuel injector cleaner
      What did you do with the rotten fuel in tank? If you had so much water it plugged up the Racor you might consider pumping the tank out and starting over

You should not run the engine up to speed off the garden hose but shouldn't have any problem at the boat ramp either still on the trailer or tied to the dock

Art

Comment

I agree wth Arts suggestions 100%.

If you get the Mr Funnel (get the biggest one you can afford as they flow faster), you could syphon the tank out run it thru the Mr Funnel and then back in.

I am assuming youve not used any E-10 in there - if you have, possible that the water has caused phase separation in which case, the fuel that is left in there after the water has been removed is now useless and has to be removed and disposed of.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I probably should have mentioned but the in line fuel filter (blue filter in the back of the motor) was clean as a whistle. So I haven't bothered chasing it down the line any further.

Dropped the motor oil on monday and changed oil filter. The oil was absolute sludge (odd being I had a service 10 months ago and only did 15 hours prior to this event)

The boat sat idle for about 5 months while I was moving house which probably didn't help things, although never had an issue with this before.

Took it for a run Monday night for and hour and put it through the paces with no problems at all. It didnt skip a beat. Oil still clean an no water in it.

Putting it on the muffs at the house it idled much better and no tinny sound from exhaust. Still a bit of idle variance but not as much... may also be attributed to less water pressure???

Needs another service soon so will get them to do a full look at it then, but for now it seems like its all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            I agree wth Arts suggestions 100%.

If you get the Mr Funnel (get the biggest one you can afford as they flow faster), you could syphon the tank out run it thru the Mr Funnel and then back in.

I am assuming youve not used any E-10 in there - if you have, possible that the water has caused phase separation in which case, the fuel that is left in there after the water has been removed is now useless and has to be removed and disposed of.
            Will look into Mr Funnel thanks. There are issues with fuel up here on and off and considering we have had historical rain events the past few months its not a surprise really. I'm not sure that they even sell E-10 in Western Australia to be honest.... I havent come across it!

Comment

Ok you might be lucky. fingers crossed!

I would suggest changing the Racor filter element again soon. I had a bad lot of fuel a while ago and its just good insurance to change the filter again sooner than usual just to be sure that the majority of the crap has been filtered out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                Ok you might be lucky. fingers crossed!

I would suggest changing the Racor filter element again soon. I had a bad lot of fuel a while ago and its just good insurance to change the filter again sooner than usual just to be sure that the majority of the crap has been filtered out.

Absolutely I've got a few on order.... Problems of living country.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X