1st Time Suzuki Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time Suzuki Owner

Hi all and thanks for allowing me to join.
    I just re-powered with a 2021 DF250 and had the dealer install the SMG4 Gauge.
    Looking for assistance with connecting the gauge to my Lorance Elite 5 Unit and if also checking to see if anyone has put together a little better "How To" manual for the Gauge functions.
    The operation manual supplied with the gauge is clear as mud when trying to learn all the gauge functions.

Thanks,
    Greg

This video tells you just about everything there is to know.

As far as connecting to the Elite 5, it will depend whether that model Lowrance has NMEA2000 capability and can display engine data. Does it have a Instruments page?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfaAR4P1Fgk

Comment

Thanks for the Video link it was very helpful. The Lowrance unit does not have an instrument page. What I'm trying to do is get MPH input for the Suzuki Gauge. Dealer stated I can either use a paddle wheel or NMEA out put from GPS unit.

Comment

Ok.

I know that some of the lower end Lowrance Elite units do have limited NMEA2000 capability. Whether or not this includes outputting GPS data to a network or not I dont know.

The first hint will be whether or not it has a NMEA2000 plug on the back. It will be marked. Small 5 pin connector

I suggest that you might call Lowrance CS with your model details at hand and ask them.

If the answer is no, then there are many GPS puck antennas available for this purpose. Doesnt have to be Suzuki branded. They all connect up with the SMG4 via both being connected to a simple NMEA2000 network. (Ie you cant connect them directly). Best way to do that is to buy a “NMEA2000 starter kit”. Has all the bits needed to establish the network. Its an easy DIY job.

I would not go with the paddle wheel option, they are notoriously inaccurate.

Comment

can I ask if you were successful in this upgrade ? I am about to do the same (with the Lowrance Suzuki branded GPS). I have the network starter kit but i am unsure where to connect the network power cable, any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenparker View Post
            can I ask if you were successful in this upgrade ? I am about to do the same (with the Lowrance Suzuki branded GPS). I have the network starter kit but i am unsure where to connect the network power cable, any advice would be appreciated.
            The network power cable just needs to be connected to 12v + (red wire with fuse) and 12v - (black wire).

It is common to find a spare bullet connector in the gauge harness to provide the 12v + power when the engine key is turned on. But you can also use a separate switched source, its up to you.

Attach the neg to the neg busbar that you likely have behind the dash for other connections.

Comment

Working...
            X