2016 DF140A engine code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 DF140A engine code

I have a 2016 DF140A on an Excel Bay Pro 203. Friday we were fishing and I made a 15 minute or so run at essentially wide open (6100 rpm). I got an engine check alarm of 2 beeps,pause,then 3 beeps, pause, repeat. The engine rpm didn't drop and there was no noticeable difference in engine sound. I shut the engine down to low rpm immediately and turned the alarm off with the key but continued to get the flashing light on my tach. I shut the engine down and let it set for a couple of minutes then started it back up. The light didn't start again until I had ran the engine a few minutes then it started the alarm again. I trailered the boat since I was out of town.

I ran the motor the next morning for a few minutes at mid-range rpm and got no alarms.

When I checked the sticky above for engine codes, it says the alarm was IAT Sensor. This engine has less than 40 hours on it and has given me absolute perfect service until now.

Any Ideas?

I would check the connection to the sensor. Maybe even remove the sensor and check for debris stuck on it.

If you want to get futher indepth; You can see if the ohms are correct for the current ambient temperature.

Unfortunately without a current fault flashing, I'm sure everything will check out fine.

I'm not sure if the the ecm records freeze frame data. If it does, the dealer should be able to scan the ecm and see what and when the trigger occurred.
    Henry

Comment

My dealer is 3.5 hours away so he had me pull the silencer and check the sensor. Wire connector looked good and felt tight. Sensor was clean and appeared the same as in pics. I'm going to run it tomorrow to see how it goes.

Comment

Follow up to this thread:

I checked with one local dealer and they were very reluctant to touch my engine since it wasn't bought there even though it is under warranty and they are an authorized dealer. They said I could drop it off and if they had time they would do a diagnostic on it in a couple of weeks. I said forget that.

I called a small local dealer who only sells a few pontoons each year. Technically they don't have a service or parts dept. The tech guy talked to me about my check engine light then asked how long it would take me to get my boat there since it was about an hour before they closed for the day. I had it there in 15 minutes.

We pulled the cowling off and he hooked up his laptop to the harness. Sure enough, it was the IAT sensor alarm. He checked the plug to the sensor and wiggled the plug and one side of the plug wire dropped off. Yep, that was it. He spent about 15 minutes repairing the plug and soldering everything back together. The code cleared. (Talking to the dealer in West Memphis where I bought my rig, he said apparently there are some other folks having this same issue and Suzuki tech folks are telling dealers to be sure to check the plug well before replacing the sensor)

He said they wouldn't even turn such in for warranty claims. I tried to pay him $50 for his trouble and he refused. He said for me to just bring him a bag of crappie fillets some time.

It is unusual to run into somebody any more who is willing to go the extra mile and get me out of a bad situation. The dealer is Premier Suzuki in Hardin, KY. Josh is the tech.

Comment

Awesome that you it figured out. But you are correct to find people who are like that Tech is becoming very rare. Its a quality i have and i pass it on to both of my kids by example. Just that act of kindness speaks volumes and travels very far.

We (Meaning my wife, as i was reluctant) just purchased our new to us boat with a DF70 Suzuki and needed a trailer tongue pin and had a "im better then you and your troubling me for this $12 sale at a local dealer here in MN. Wont go back.

Comment

Awesome that you it figured out. But you are correct to find people who are like that Tech is becoming very rare. Its a quality i have and i pass it on to both of my kids by example. Just that act of kindness speaks volumes and travels very far.

We (Meaning my wife, as i was reluctant) just purchased our new to us boat with a DF70 Suzuki and needed a trailer tongue pin and had a "im better then you and your troubling me for this $12 sale at a local dealer here in MN. Wont go back.

Comment

Working...
            X