1995 DT200 with issues. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 DT200 with issues. Please help!

I recently bought a 1978 Mako 23. It was in such great shape when I went to see it and I got it for so cheap, i wasn't worried about the motor. (yeah, that cheap for a mint condition classic mako hull)

Anyway, i jumped the gun on that purchase............

So far i have rewired ALL of the electric, replaced all fuel lines, installed a new fuel water separator... the list goes on. The only thing i havent been able to fix is the motor, because i dont know how.

When i first took it out, it purred like a kitten.
    i anchored and shut it off and when i tried to leave it wouldn't start back up. i finally got it after about 45 minutes. and the whole way back to the marina the rpms would go from about 4500 to about 2000 and stay there for a few minutes before jumping back up to 4500. then at anything less than half throttle it stalls, including neutral, (which made docking a real pain).

i changed the spark plugs and the wires going to them because one of them was fairly corroded.

I took it out again after that and it did the same thing. sometimes it runs great, with no issues at all. other times, it takes forever to start and then stalls at half throttle or less and i cant get full power.

if anyone has any suggestions at all as to what this could be, i would really really appreciate it.

im not only new to older suzuki 2 strokes, i'm completely new to marine engines in general, so any help is good help.

Thank You!

Hi Frank,

It might help if you tell us more about the motor? I think they came in carby and fuel injected?

Start with basics:- Fuel, spark and compression.

Fuel: I'd say this is most likely problem from what your describing. I'd be doing a carby overhaul (Has is been sitting around for a while?). If injected i'd be ensuring the rail and injectors are clean.

Spark: Plugs, leads, CDI unit and associated sensors for timing

Compression: perform a compression test.

Comment

Working...
    X