Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest option for fuel use display

Hi all,

I've just read about NMEA etc. Unfortunately i only have a Lowrance HOOK so appears it is not compatible? It is only NMEA 0183?

So what would be my most cost effective option of obtaining fuel usage from my DF140 2008? (Other than my current piece of dowel with notches method)

Cheers.

So i just learnt that Navman marine are no longer and it seems they went to Simrad or Lowrance?

A mate used to have a Navman fuel flow gauge years ago. I think it was just a sensor in-line that went straight to the gauge? I cant seem to find anything available like that?

Comment

Ok, maybe everyone has fancy sounder/plotters that have NMEA?

I found an inline gauge on fleabay (has remote monitor) for around $100. Anyone used one?

Comment

The fuel flow meters may have may have minimum flow rates that are higher than what your motor uses - which may mean their accuracy is compromised. You should check the one youve seen before purchasing.

Lowrance/Navico also makes such a fuel flow meter, but again, it is NMEA2000 so it may not (almost certainly wont) with your Hook.

The Hook is an OK unit, its just that it is the bottom end of the Lowrance/Navico range and therefore misses out on more advanced functionality of the Elite or HDS series.

Either an Elite from Lowrance or Simrad GOxse series display would be a good choice to get full N2K engine data functionality, and still at a very reasonable price.

Comment

Yeah checked flow rate and seems low enough.

Yeah ive seen the flow meters for Lowrance but they wont work with my Hook. I only got the Hook as I mainly spearfish and dont really need a fancy sounder....if i had realised the other benefits though i may of spent more.

Cheers.

Comment

Is the 2008 engine NMEA2000 compatible? (I don't know offhand.) Note that if you have NMEA2000 with a newer NMEA2000-compatible engine, then your engine probably provides fuel consumption data, so you don't need to buy an extra fuel flow sensor. I have a DF25A with a Lowrance gauge/display and only a waterwheel speed sensor, and I get MPH (from the waterwheel), and fuel used & remaining, and MPG along with Tachometer and engine messages (maintenance required, overtemp error, etc).

There are a couple used SMIS (=Lowrance) guage/displays on sale now on Ebay for $75, which is a pretty good deal. This alone would give you fuel information using NMEA2000 data produced by the engine. You wouldn't need to buy a fuel flow sensor...

On the down side (regarding cost), the gauge/display is not all you need to buy. To connect the gauge to your engine, you need an "Engine Interface Cable" (EIC), along with the other bits and pieces to create an NMEA2000 network. All described in Moonlighter's sticki thread on NMEA2000.

Unfortunately, the needed kit ain't cheap. Probably around $75 for the EIC, and another $75 for the remaining bits (a so-called "NMEA Starter Kit"). But my main point is that the money you save by not buying a fuel sensor can get you about halfway there...
            Last edited by 2014DF25ARS; 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Yes the 08 df140 is nmea. I can't find any nmea monitor only? Only the multi gauges which are few hundred.

Comment

If you want to get fuel data from this engine's ecu, there is only one option -

- Engine interface cable, adapter cable, NMEA2000 starter kit is the base platform.

Then you have options as to where to display the data:

- on a MFD such as a Lowrance Elite, HDS, Garmin, Simrad GO series and many others PROVIDED that they have NMeA2000 engine data display capability etc

Or

- on A dedicated engine data display "gauge" such as Suzuki SMIS, C-10 Garmin GMI-10/20 of similar.

It can be a somewhat expensive way to go with all the bits and pieces. But is very accurate and the bonus is lots of other engine data as well.

If you have an existing capable MFD, that cuts down the cost considerably.

Aqua's problem is that his Hook isnt able to display fuel data so he would be up for the whole package $$$.

Next option is a standalone fuel flow gauge, which I know very little about, having never needed one.

Comment

Working...
                X