Motor up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor up or down?

Have got a df175 on my fishing boat and am heading away to a fairly remote spot where the boat will be moored off the beach whilst not in use for about 12 days. It's likely that it won't be possible to flush the engine at all during my trip as there is no running water available.

Am I better off over night with the motor down so the water drains from the cooling system, or up so the leg is completely clear of the saltwater?

Thanks,
    Chris.

I think personally its a matter of whether it will hit the bottom or not with outgoing tides etc. Personally if its anchored deep enough id just leave it down.

Comment

Can't see that it makes much difference. Once shut down, the water in the cooling jacket will drain, and from that point whether you raise it or you leave it down, the water's out of the cooling jacket, but still in the lower parts.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Never leave the lower unit down in the water if not necessary.
        There is no advantage and reason to do that and you will get marine life
        on and inside your lower unit. Even if tiny it may end up in the engine.

All of the moored boats flush their engines twice a year and most of the slipped or trailered boats also not after every use. I have seen hundreds of engines flushed twice a year and even after 10 years there was no huge difference in internal corrosion.

Just use and more your boat with the engies up and when you are home again then flush them!

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X