NMEA 2000 issue or Interface cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA 2000 issue or Interface cable?

People - I need your help as I’m stumped!

I have twin 2017 DF200AP’s on a Thunderbird 233 with two C10 gauges. 300 hrs on the clock and all been working fine.

just had a heap of rain and I come to start the motors and notice the stbd engine is not showing info on the C10. It just has the three lines but the port trim is flashing up every second or so, even though the engine is not moving or running.

Initial thoughts are that it’s the interface cable to the stbd engine. I checked out the plastic piece, pulled the end cap out and all looks ok. I then disconnected the stbd interface cable, the trim error disappeared. So I’m still thinking it’s the interface cable but then I disconnected the port and left the stbd one connected only and it is showing the stbd engine data.

It’s got me confused I can get single engine info but when I hook both interface cables on the network it will only show the port and has the port trim flashing up.

The C10 and the Garmin MFD 8212 device list only show the port interface cable.

Thoughts? Is it the stbd cable or is it a NMEA network issue?

8FA4EBCC-FF91-4A86-99EC-9A430FEB5FC7.jpeg
    Attached Files

Comment

Here it is showing information for the port engine (higher voltage), stbd engine and then the issue with the trim showing up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Its sounding like the starboard interface cable may have failed.

But worth checking connections - especially with the possibility of water in connections due to weather?

Check the engine harness connection under the cowl. Then harness will be plugged into the SDS plug on the engine. Make sure that the plugs are good, no water intrusion, and thatno wires are loose or broken. Check the interface plug that connects it to the harness behind the dash for the same issues.

if all that looks good the only other thing to do is try swapping the starboard interface cable to the port engine and see if the problem follows the cable.

Comment

Working...
        X