Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine interface cable both female plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine interface cable both female plugs?

Hello

Went about installing my engine interface today, BUT... the connector on the interface cable and the engine are both female. WTH? I went ahead and ordered two sumitomo male connectors to make an adapter/extension, so now I can fit the cable outside of the engine in another place in the boat, and run my extension wire through the rigging tube. My question, should I buy shielded or unshielded cable, and what gauge? Also, what pins go to what?

Thanks

That is correct - the original intent was for the interface cables to be connected to the gauge harness behind the dash, where the connectors are the right s e x to do that.

If you need to connect to the SDS plug direct (eg because you also want to keep analogue gauges working) you need an SDS adapter cable or to make one as you are planning to.

The sticky thread at the top of the forum includes an information paper on how to do it all including how to make your own SDS adapter cable. Have a read of it, you will find your answer there.

Comment

Make a nice long one to go from the engine to the console.

parts.jpg

feed.jpg

terminals.jpg

engine end.jpg

console end.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Handsomerob1980 View Post
        Make a nice long one to go from the engine to the console.

parts.jpg

feed.jpg

terminals.jpg

engine end.jpg

console end.jpg
        Nice work Rob, real nice!

Our local Suzuki distributer un Australia always made and sold adapter cables 6 metres long. The US versions were only maybe 1.2m long.

I’ve made a few up, for myself and mates, used trailer light wire for a couple and shielded data wire for others, didnt seem to make any difference, they all worked and continue to work just fine.

If you found a US supplier for the Sumitomo plugs perhaps ypu could post a link here?

I got mine from Eastern Beaver Motorcycle parts in Japan but things are very difficult to get posted from there at the moment.

Comment

I got mine from Eastern Beaver as well however I have found these . . .

20 Sets 2/3/4/6 Pin Sumitomo HM and MT Series (Sumitomo 090 Connector) Electrical Wire Connector with Terminals and Seals: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Comment

Hi, I got mine from corsa technic: https://www.corsa-technic.com/

Comment

Bingo! I have it all working. Now for a couple more things:

First, I am getting a fuel flow reading of about 30L/hour when cruising. Does that seem about right for a 200?

Secondly, I went out first time for this year this weekend, and the dock had a big rock right beside it that I hit while parking. Seriously, this should not be there, right beside the dock, under the boat. Anyways, the engine was at idle but in gear, and the hit was enough to stall the engine. I checked the prop before starting up, and the prop seemed fine. So I went ahead and started it, and it idled just fine. I then tried to rev it up a little, and the engine got all pissed, it shook violently, but no check engine or low oil pressure alarms. I idled down, and tried again. Jumped out on plane and sounded perfectly fine. WTH? I will try and start by changing the plugs, as I have no clue when they were last changed. Later when I took the boat out of the water I looked at the prop, and the edge was very slightly dinged up, I doubt it could have caused much damage.

Edit: I think I solved this one... maybe... I opened up the fuel filter, and it was a third full of water. not good. Of course before the first outing I took it off and dumped it. When I trimmed up to check the prop, I must have tipped some of that water into the fuel line going into the vst, and it misfired.
              Last edited by vroomZOOM; 05-19-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Re fuel flow rate, yes its probably ballpark. Impossible to say for sure though because too many variables and unknowns re what revs, boat weight, engine load etc etc etc.

If you read the paper attached to the Suzuki networking sticky thread, you will see my recommendations and detailed procedure for how to determine if fuel data is correct, and how to calibrate it if its 5-10% off.

Re the engine revving in neutral, these engines have a rev limiter that prevents them being revved beyond about 3000rpm in neutral. If you push the neutral throttle to or beyond that point, the ecu cuts spark, reduces fuel flow, and retards timing advance, so the engine will then run like cra….. much the same as a race car engine does when its on the pit lane limiter. It will misfire, jump around, and generally run BAD.

I suspect that’s what was happening when you revved it up in neutral. Solution is simple. Dont touch the neutral throttle lever again!

Assuming the prop is stainless steel, the next steps are to have the prop edge tidied up and most importantly, to check the prop shaft for runout. A ding like that can easily bend a prop shaft (dont ask me how I know!) and if not addressed, can lead to damaged seals and gearbox destruction.

Get it checked!!!!!!
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-19-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your response! I was not revving in neutral when the misfiring happened, it occured around 1000 rpm in gear. Here is a picture of the prop: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dUQ...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                  X