Suzuki engine interface cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki engine interface cables

I have twin 2015 Suzuki 115's and have had the engines linked up to my 2000 network so I can get fuel data on my Garmin 4208 screen. They seem to work 2 to 3 years and I have to buy new ones. My port side quit working the other day. This will be the 5th cable I have had to buy!!!! Can these things be repaired/reprogrammed or something? This is getting expensive having to keep buying them every 2 to 3 years!

That is quite unusual to have such regular failures!

Can you give some details on where the interface cables are connected and where they are physically located?

And please explain what happens when they fail - what the symptoms are, exactly what you see happening.

Looking back, I see that you have had quite some issues with electrical, harnesses and so on.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-29-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Yeah I had issues when I installed new engine harnesses. I didn't realize from the factory you have to swap the plug at the motor. Unplug the black plug and plug in the gray plug. I just lost all data coming from the engine. I can use the starboard cable on the port side and it works fine.

Comment

I would try a few things before swapping out cables.

First would be to check the network device list to see if the “failed” cable still appears on the device list. If it does, then there is a decent chance it can be revived. Engine keys need to be turned to the on position when checking the device list. Check that and report back. We can then go from there.

Comment

I have a 2015 df250 with all kinds of electrical demons... we have been through 2 wiring harnesses, new battery cables and white wires, and now they are saying it’s the wrong engine interface on my motor. Something about it should be 2.9 and it’s a 3.5 or something... they claim that’s why I keep throwing codes when I take the boat out on the water, even though I never lose any engine info at all. Maybe that’s the issue with yours too?

Comment

The starboard cable shows up but not the port on the device list.

Comment

Originally posted by LITECATCH View Post
              The starboard cable shows up but not the port on the device list.
              Then given that you have swapped cables and the other one works on that engine, then yes it sounds like the cable has failed.

To me, I would be suspicious that something in your network or engine harness (more likely) is frying the interface cables, I havent heard of any other cases of such frequent and regular failures. Its got to be something on your boat’s setup.

Are the interface cables are located in a position where they never get wet or subjected to undue heat?? Neither of those things are good, for them.

Comment

Originally posted by seameafterclass View Post
                I have a 2015 df250 with all kinds of electrical demons... we have been through 2 wiring harnesses, new battery cables and white wires, and now they are saying it’s the wrong engine interface on my motor. Something about it should be 2.9 and it’s a 3.5 or something... they claim that’s why I keep throwing codes when I take the boat out on the water, even though I never lose any engine info at all. Maybe that’s the issue with yours too?
                A 2015 engine needs to run that latest version of the 3.5 interface, which is 3.5.7. It will NOT work properly with any 2.9 version cable.

The software can be updated without physically removing the cable.

Comment

Well great! I have screwed around with it enough that now the starboard engine data went away!! Now neither one works! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X