Twin DF200A's getting engine data to Raymarine Axiom Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin DF200A's getting engine data to Raymarine Axiom Pro

I have twin DF200a's with electronic throttles and SMG 4 Gauges. All new in October 2020.

A Raymarine Axiom Pro is connected to the NMEA 2000 network and GPS data is showing correctly on the SMG4's for speed, MPG and GPS location.

However, it seems the data is one-way. No engine data is available on the Axiom. If I follow the Axiom Engine Setup instructions it tells me to switch off the engine and restart so the Axiom can sense devices and data. But nothing is picked up on either engine.

The Axiom is just "teed" into the network via its NMEA2000 port.

Any ideas what I'd doing wrong?

Thanks
    Peter

I would suspect its an issue at the Raymarine end.

The SMG4’s share data to the network as well as receive it. A friend of mine has his them sending data to the network that he displays in his Furuno MFD, so it does work. I will however ask him if there was anything special he needed to do on the SMG’s to get it happening.

Comment

Ok some more info. Spoke to my friend. Says there is no setting change needed in the SMG4’s to output data to the network.

(I will qualify this by saying that when SMG4 was first released in 2015 there were 2 versions, and one didnt output MNEA2000, but I am pretty sure they dropped that version some years ago. The part number that didnt share data was Part # 34200-96L00 and I dont see it listed on Brownspoint Suzuki SMG4 gauge page any more)

Now I dont have any experience with Raymarine and he doesnt have much either, and from what I have seen their NMEA2000 implementation seems a bit weird and not intuitive! But he knows people who also have Suzuki SMG4’s and standard Raymarine displays and have engine data displaying. So the Axioms shouldnt be much different.

So first up, both SMG’s will need to be connected to the network.

Secondly, presumably the Ray has some form of network device list? Find the list and even with one SMG connected to the network, it should be visible and you may then be able to open it and see data etc. That will tell you if the Raymarine is detecting them and that data is being received.

My mate says that on his Furuno he had to go to the dashboard screen, and for each item on the page, manually select the data for it to display. A bit tedious but once done and saved it was done.

See how that goes.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-07-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. Appreciate the help.

Both SMG4's are connected. Next time I'm at the boat, I look for a device list. Like you I'm suspicious that Raymarine are a bit different. They seem to run on their own "SeaTalking" network with an option to tap into NMEA2000. Seems odd the Axiom is sending data to the SMG4's but can't read engine data. It does however read fuel tank level from the NMEA2000 network. I'll report back after the next boat visit.

Peter

Comment

The part # for both SMG4 Gauges are 34200-96L21 manufactured in 2019 so I guess I have the version that doesn't share data.

Comment

Some success! Not sure I changed anything, but did have the console apart and SMG4's and Raymarine Axiom Pro were removed and refitted. Can't believe just remaking the connectors solved the problem, but signals are getting through so it seems the SMG4 #34200-96L21 ARE outputting data to the NMEA 2000 network.

I'll attach a series of photos which should be self-explanatory.

RM1.jpgRM3.jpg

So far I can see:
            RPM
            Water Temp
            Alternator output
            Gear PSN (FNR)
            Fuel Tank %
            Fuel Trip

I'm sure there's more data and would be nice to know outboard trim and engine oil pressure but at least I have enough data to use the Raymarine Fuel Management Function.

Peter

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X