Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New MOTOR overheating!

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a BRAND NEW DF15A BRAND NEW! I went through hell with a mercury last season, so we bought an electric start. I picked it up from the dealer in Port Dover, Ontario - today was finally the first day to take it out to break it in.

I started it up and it started easily... but I noticed no water was coming out of the pilot hole - I ran air through the hose and nothing was clogging the hose. I shut it off for a few minutes and turned it back on and a small amount of water was coming out the hole. I let it run for 5 mins (as manual says) and I went to put it in FORWARD and it shuttered and shut off! Then the red light started to flash and it wouldn't start!

Sorry for my frustration but we waited 6 months for this motor to come in and why would it overheat with 0 hours? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I've read the manual 100 times and I follow the steps each time I attempted to start.

That is frustrating.

Hate to ask, but

Did you put oil into the engine??? If you did, check the level anyway.

Was the engine on a boat in the water, or was it running on muffs or in a drum of water? If in a drum of water the engine leg needs to be submerged quite deep to prime the water pump, at least 4-5” above the anti vent plate (the large plate above the prop).

Do NOT start the engine if the hose is only connected to the flushing port. Never.

If using muffs, the small soft round ones work best for most of us. Needs good water pressure. It should pump a strong stream of water out the telltale within 20-30 seconds at most.

By the way, when the engine warning lights flash, there is often a repeating sequence of flashes and they tell a story as to the fault involved. Make a note of the sequence. Eg 2 flashes short pause 3 flashes. = a 2-3 code.

Comment

We picked the outboard up at the dealer, they already had it full and ran the test. We had it in a drum, my last motor we always ran it before hitting the lake... after an accident we had once it’s been the routine. But I’ll bring it to the lake tomorrow and try ,,,

Also I do have the muffs that I use often, but this is a new motor so figured in the drum was better.

thanks for the response it helped !

Comment

Did you follow the break in procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulcasurfer View Post
          Did you follow the break in procedure?
          The motor is literally brand new we were taking it out to do the break in procedure.

Comment

Working...
          X