Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 DF300AP Overheat Alarm While Running on Earmuffs Out of the Water

Hi Guys,

I just installed a 2015 DF300AP on my boat and I got it running today. I was running it out of the water hooked up to earmuffs on a garden hose with the lower water intake duct taped off. The port bank was cool but the starboard bank was getting hot to touch. I checked both thermostats and they were both opening at about 53 degrees Celsius. They were closing at the same time too. I plan on replacing the water pump before putting here into the water.

Could it be the engine is not getting enough water from the garden hose/earmuffs?

Thanks,

Pat

I use a 100 gallon plastic water trough from Tractor Supply full of water to run my 300 on dry land, cost me less than $100. It ensures the entire lower unit is in water and allows for an accurate evaluation of the cooling system. Just make sure to leave the hose running in the trough to ensure it doesn't run our of water.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickpresti View Post
      Hi Guys,

I just installed a 2015 DF300AP on my boat and I got it running today. I was running it out of the water hooked up to earmuffs on a garden hose with the lower water intake duct taped off. The port bank was cool but the starboard bank was getting hot to touch. I checked both thermostats and they were both opening at about 53 degrees Celsius. They were closing at the same time too. I plan on replacing the water pump before putting here into the water.

Could it be the engine is not getting enough water from the garden hose/earmuffs?

Thanks,

Pat

Will do. Thanks for the information!

Comment

two very important things you didn't mention
        1 number of hours on your engine
        and 2- maybe most important - When was the water pump last serviced?
        remember it is suggested every 100 hours and annually with reasonable use and no longer than 2 years.
        Art
        Last edited by artdf175; 05-11-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
          two very important things you didn't mention
          1 number of hours on your engine
          and 2- maybe most important - When was the water pump last serviced?
          remember it is suggested every 100 hours and annually with reasonable use and no longer than 2 years.
          Art
          1- 1290 Hours

2- No clue when the water pump was last serviced since I just acquired this motor. I just replaced the water pump last night but the old one looked okay. I should have the engine back up and running by the end of the weekend.

Comment

I have a DF250AP 2015 and have never been able to run on muffs without alarm going off. I run in tub now and is fine, even add just a bit of detergent to the tub as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aquamort View Post
              I have a DF250AP 2015 and have never been able to run on muffs without alarm going off. I run in tub now and is fine, even add just a bit of detergent to the tub as well.

Thanks for your personal experience. I plan on starting the engine again tomorrow after I get it back together. I will let you know how I make out!

Comment

Good news. I had the engine running on Sunday using a 40 gallon tank. I had it running for 10 minutes. I didn't get any overheat condition!

Comment

very good
                  but to take the note on the water pump one step further -- the rubber just sitting is compressed pretty hard on one or two of the blades.. the rubber over tim then retains the memory and loses it's flex (pumping capability)
                  the biggest reason to change it every two years regardless of hours

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                    very good
                    but to take the note on the water pump one step further -- the rubber just sitting is compressed pretty hard on one or two of the blades.. the rubber over tim then retains the memory and loses it's flex (pumping capability)
                    the biggest reason to change it every two years regardless of hours

It's got a fresh water pump now too. I just replaced it after the overheat condition.

Comment

Working...
                    X