2004 140 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 140 issues

Just bought a 2004 Key West 186 with a 2004 Zuk, was told motor had issues. First off, I'm attached pics of my flywheel. Im assuming it is toast?
    Second question, when I turn the motor by hand with a socket/breaker bar I hear some clacks from what sounds like inside the block, maybe lower. Attaching link here to video of it
    https://youtu.be/mD7tk2oyJbo
    Attached Files

Why would turning the fly wheel be the 1st thing you checked? Interesting. For me, I would check the oil levels (including lower unit) and fuel system (filters and age of fuel). Take my car battery and turn it over.

Comment

That wasn't the first thing I checked at all, not sure why you thought that? I checked all fluid conditions and level.. The previous owner stated that "I heard a ticking noise and brought it to a mechanic, they said it was a bad flywheel" He said it wasn't running, so I didnt bother trying before I figured out what the problem was. When I spun the flywheel to see what the issue with it would be was, I heard that clanking noise. Make sense now? So do you have an idea if my flywheel is truly bad and/or what the clanking noise is? And I dont need car battery, batteries are all charged up. Thanks.

Comment

Have you removed the spark plugs yet

Comment

yes, I removed the plugs, they look great. It's also why I was able to turn the motor with socket and socket wrench. Did you get a chance to watch video and listen to that noise? Thanks

Comment

Yes , and its quite loud and strange sound . Narcel4t you will need to provide more info before people start guessing, like have you tried starting it, does it run is that sound from front, rear, upper, mid or lower sections, What state is the oil, does it smell of fuel or is it discolored and so on, I'm guessing any damage their has already happened so In saying that i would start by removing the valve cover and inspect the valves , cams and timing chain

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
              Yes , and its quite loud and strange sound . Narcel4t you will need to provide more info before people start guessing, like have you tried starting it, does it run is that sound from front, rear, upper, mid or lower sections, What state is the oil, does it smell of fuel or is it discolored and so on, I'm guessing any damage their has already happened so In saying that i would start by removing the valve cover and inspect the valves , cams and timing chain
              Thank you for the reply. I drained the oil, no shiny bits or fuel. Oil looked good, nice and brown. I even cut fuel filter open to check if there was metal there, nothing. I have not tried starting it yet, as I am nervous to find out what that noise could be before I start it up. It is honestly really hard to tell what part of the motor the noise is coming from. I even tried using my stethoscope to listen and cant pin point it. I will try again with my girlfriend turning motor over so I can try and listen better. At least I now know that is not a normal noise to have when a motor is turned over.

Comment

like I've suggested I'm assuming the damage is already done, not quite sure why you would turn an engine over by hand first up, most people who were told an engine had issues would do all the basic tests and if all seemed clear would try and fire it up to see what issues stood out again only my opinion?. Not sure why but that sound sounds to me as the timing chain tensioner has failed and chain is slapping as it goes slack. Again its only a guess until you can positively determine where the sound is coming from, and when you do there will be a lot more people giving better advice than me

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
                  like I've suggested I'm assuming the damage is already done, not quite sure why you would turn an engine over by hand first up, most people who were told an engine had issues would do all the basic tests and if all seemed clear would try and fire it up to see what issues stood out again only my opinion?. Not sure why but that sound sounds to me as the timing chain tensioner has failed and chain is slapping as it goes slack. Again its only a guess until you can positively determine where the sound is coming from, and when you do there will be a lot more people giving better advice than me
                  Reason I turned engine over at first is because I was told the engine had a broken flywheel, and turned engine over by hand to explore. I heard the magnets scraping the stator when I turned it over, along with hearing the clacking sound. Removed flywheel and magnets are swollen, so have a replacement flywheel coming.

Comment

Ok, this may be stupidity/naivety on my part, but the hydraulic chain tensioner wouldn't be pressurized when the motor is not running, hence there will be slack in the timing chain when it is being turned by hand, correct?

Comment

In case someone comes across this thread, the answer to my questions are: 1. yes that is a bad flywheel, the magnets are swollen. I changed the flywheel and the stator. 2. The clunking sound when turning motor over with a socket and breaker bar is the sound of loose timing chain popping, due to the hydraulic timing chain tensioner not having oil pressure in it. I started motor up and it's running fine now.

Comment

Working...
                      X