Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DF50 - Runs when high rpm lever is up, dies when putting into gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF50 - Runs when high rpm lever is up, dies when putting into gear.

Looking for advice on what to try. I have a DF50 motor on our Macgregor and having issues keeping it running. It's a "new" to us boat, and keep finding new issues with it even before we get it in the water.

The details (everything done so far - even unrelated):
    • Replaced and gapped spark plugs
    • Replaced the plastic low pressure fuel filter
    • Replaced both male and female fuel connector to motor/tank
    • Added a Y valve to select left or right tanks.
    • Brand new tanks, fuel hoses and primer bulbs.
    • Replaced impeller.
    • I just have a few gallons in the tank (fresh supreme fuel with a splash of Sea Foam)
    Details of motor:
    • DF50 Suzuki 2005
    • Macgregor 26M motorsailer
    • Possibly sat unused for at least 3 years.
    Symptoms:
    • I got it running, but only when I have the high-idle lever in the up position.
    • It will run fairly smoothy in this condition. Will go as low as about 800-ish RPM and close to 3,000 Rpm (it starts to stutter around there, but I was told there is an RPM limiter at 3,000 so that's probably normal)
    • When I lower the high-RPM lever, to put the prop in gear, it just quits before it's in gear.
    What could this be? (my ideas)
    • Idle speed on engine too low? Dies when the lever is down.
    • Fuel issue? It twill run, but could it be the other filter (the high pressure filter on top of engine)?
    • Leaking hoses? They are old, but I have them connected securely, but of course there is the chance of an air leak maybe.
    • One of the fuel pumps?
    I'm not a hard-core mechanic by any means, and we did check around the local marine shops and none of them work on Suzuki engines. *ugh!*

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
    Sturgeon Bay, WI

Working...
X