Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF9.9a Hard start.

Hello everyone.
    I have a DF 9.9a that i bought brand new to replace a good but aging Honda 9.9. The DF9.9a has an electric choke and was the last year for a carburetor on this model. This is used as a kicker for trolling so does not see a ton of hours every year. It is fed from my main tank and is treated and has a filter/water separator in line.
    Right from the start I was experiencing a hard start and could not idle so back to the dealer i bought it from. They cant help now as they dont do Suzuki anymore. Off to the one who took over and he is telling me its a fuel problem ( yep kinda new that) and wont be warranty cuz fuel is the problem . I objected to this as I do my best to keep the fuel well taken care of and never have fuel quality issues.
    He decides to do a carb clean and warranty's it .A week later I am 12 hrs from home and an hour off shore and its the same problem. When I got back home and took it in They warrantied a brand new carb and seemed good. Untill it sat a few more weeks and guess what?,same thing again.
    I am getting my boat ready for fishing and guess what? same thing today.
    Yes I know I am ranting here but I hope it helps in the end.
    I should not be expected to dismantle and clean my carb every time it sits for a few weeks to cpl months. I have tried storing wet (with fuel) and dry (without) but no difference There is Never any visible contamination but once it had its soak and back together it does work.

I am in the belief its the low speed jet having fuel dry up and cause this. If this is true ,would replacing with a larger jet fix this problem? I have herd that the Suzuki jets are that tiny? Yeah there is ethanol in our fuel here but it didnt effect the Honda or my main a 150 yamaha .
    I am at a loss at what to do so I need some advise from you guys .
    thanks
Working...
X