DF140 Won't Start - Clicks and acts like out of fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Won't Start - Clicks and acts like out of fuel

My 2012 DF140 has recently not been wanting to start. It would not start for the first time this season acting like a dead battery, I cleaned all the corrosion off the leads and then it started no problem. It runs fine once it is started. I was out last weekend and it randomly died while idling. Then when I tried to start it again it was acting like it was out of fuel. It was trying to start buy just kinda coughing like a car out of gas. Sometimes it would try and turn over and others it would just click and not even attempt to start. low fuel light came on. Eventually it started up again and ran just fine, it was no where near out of gas when this happened. Now whenever I try to start it it either just clicks or acts like its out of gas. It will start it just takes like 5 minutes of trying before doing so.
    I suspect either starter solenoid or fuel pump. Last year both fuel filters were replaced and fuel injectors cleaned. Any ideas what it might be?

I would suspect corroded battery wires (internally). Or a corroded battery sub wire (the “white wire”) - did you find it and clean it up when you did the earlier work on battery terminals? It also has a fuse in in near the connection to power. Undo check the fuse holder and wires going in and out.

Check those main battery cables. If the terminals were badly corroded, theres a good chance the corrosion has run inside up inside the the wires too.

These engines are sensitive to getting good power supply. If they dont get it they will play up. Guaranteed.

The other thing to check on US made boats is the fuel connector at the tank - its usually actually an anti-syphon valve, and they can fail and if that happens, at low revs, they dont let fuel through and the engine stalls. The fuel primer bulb will be very soft and if you pump it up the engine will usually start again. Solution is to remove that valve from the tank and rplace it with a straight through barb - the AS valve isnt required and is simply a source of problems.

Comment

Working...
    X