Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df140 shift position questions

Hello,
    I recently picked up a key west that has a 2002 df140 on it. The serial number being 14001f-254995 which to my understand means it should have a right hand prop on it. This however is not the case. The previous owner had a left hand on it, and would pull the throttle handle down to move the boat in the forward position. Would anyone happen to have pictures of what the shifter linkage on the motor looks like in both forward and reverse to further help me determine if someone swapped the lower unit, or if it is simply the wrong prop.
    Thanks,
    Kody
    Attached Files

I would guess that if you have to pull the throttle lever to the rear to go forward, that he just put the wrong prop on it. The prop shaft is obviously turning in the direction that you have input with the control (turning CCW when in "reverse"), so the prop itself is the only problem.

Edit .... but with further thought, I suppose it could have the CCW gear case and a CW prop and do the same thing. So I was no help at all. Sorry.
    Last edited by Harper; 07-08-2021, 03:58 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Do the shift shafts for both the ccw and cw lower units share the same positions like all the way cw for forward and ccw for reverse?

Comment

I'm not sure, but that would be my guess.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

When you put in gear as to move forward what direction is the prop turning

Comment

It would be the craziest thing I have heard if someone put a LH prop on a RH rotation gearbox, and then used reverse throttle to drive the boat forward!!!! But it sounds like that’s what is happening. Yes, that is a LH prop in your photo.

But I have learnt that there are truly some crazies out there……

I suppose that you’re trying to figure out if someone has done that or has somehow connected up the control cables the wrong way around (I dont even know if that is possible!!) to a LH gearbox so that forward = reverse etc. Or something equally bizarre.

But anyway, trying to look at this logically….

If there is now a LH prop on there, and the throttle lever has to be pushed backwards into what would normally be the reverse throttle range to make the boat go forwards, then the cables etc must logically be connected up correctly. Its just the prop that is wrong.

Take the prop off. Start the engine on the muffs and get someone push the throttle forward into idle while you watch the prop shaft. The prop shaft should be spinning clockwise. If it does, then you have a LH prop on a RH gearbox. Solution is then easy. Put a RH prop on there.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-09-2021, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Alright just went out and tested. When the throttle is pushed forward the propshaft is spinning clockwise and the the shift shaft is also turned clockwise. Pull the throttle back results in the propshaft turning ccw and the shift shaft also being turned ccw. Seems like it may be the wrong prop and the previous owner used the controls in reverse to do what he wanted it to do....
              Putting a rh prop should solve this issue I believe

Comment

____Agree!
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Damn!

There are some deadset nutters out there!

Comment

Alright, just went out with a a rh prop on it was only able to get to around 2500 rpm. If you take a look at throttle controls I have much more throw in the "reverse" position. This boat is driving me crazy if anyone has pictures of what the of the positions of the shift rod are that would be great. Still having trouble figuring out what's going on with rigging.
                    Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X