Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA 2000 network power supply query

Gents,

I've just installed 2 new 2017 DF200APX's and 2 C10 gauges in my old Formula 233. The C10 gauges are on the NMEA network, along with my Garmin GPS antenna and Suzuki engine interface cables. At the moment, the power supply for the network comes from an 12V accessories circuit.

Tyler at IMS mentioned that the Suzuki gauges should be powered from the power drops in the main engine harness to ensure power to gauges comes from the key. He mentioned that to maintain the one network I could consider splitting the NMEA network with a 'thing' that would allow two independent power supplies to each side of the network (one from general accessories for the Garmin gear and one for the Suzuki gear) but still allows the data to flow through this 'thing' - keeping all functions on the one network.

I should give him a call back but thought I would see how others have rigged their systems up.
    • Should I put the network only on the Suzuki harness power drops, in which case, they key needs to be on to get the GPS position (not ideal)?
    • Should I leave the network power on the accessories, which means the Suzuki gauges are powered up but have not input data when the key is off?
    • Should I look further for this "thing" that splits the network ? Anyone know what its called?
    Attached Files

So, let me understand - the things below you listed are ALL that is on your network:

Suzuki engine interfaces x 2
    C-10's x 2
    Gramin GPS puck antenna x 1

If that is all the devices you have attached to your network, then the normal situation would be to get network power from one of the engine harness power connectors - but that of course would mean that the network (and thus the gauges and antenna) would only get power if that particular engine's key is turned on as you know.

Tyler is possibly referrring to a dual power node - its just a special network power node that can connect to 2 power sources, it then selects one of those to use. If one turns off, it automatically changes to use the other. This would work well with a dual engine setup as you can appreciate.

However, there is nothing much really wrong with your current setup, except that its best to have the network power source on a switched source of power. So if you can add a switch to that 12 V accessories circuit connection, then that would be better.

I guess it is just more convenient to use the dual power node because it means that whenever one of the engine keys is turned on, the network will be active and everything will work. And when both engines are off, it will switch off as well.

Comment

Dual Power node

Thanks for the reply Moonlighter.

Yes, for the time being that is all that is on the NMEA 2000 network.

The 12 V accessories is on a switch so i do have some control over the power source. The dual power node sounds like the ideal set up but after a full renovation of a 40 year old boat I have probably more pressing priorities.

I read your NMEA setup post for Suzukis - it was helpful - thank you. I'll reply to your post with the set up for 2017 motors here in the US.

Comment

Cool, yes saw your other post.

Thanks for that info.

Comment

There is a yellow T that allows data to go from one side of the nema 2000 network over to the other side but does not allow electricity. So you power both sides of the yellow T separately

Comment

Originally posted by barrell View Post
            There is a yellow T that allows data to go from one side of the nema 2000 network over to the other side but does not allow electricity. So you power both sides of the yellow T separately
            Yes, thats another option.

I believe that yellow T is made by Garmin.

Comment

Working...
            X