Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Interface Cable Gone Bad?

rcnight Today, 02:14 PM
    Can an Engine Interface cable go bad? Using version 3.5 with my 2018 DF140. After being laid up for several months, not getting any engine data on my Garman EchoMap 70sv. I use the same head with both the DF140 and a 2006 DF225. The DF225 works fine. Checked all the obvious places, no luck. Any not so obvious places, things I should check? Is there a way to check an Interface Cable?

Interface cables can fail.

Can you find a network device list on the Garmin display? Im not familiar with Garmins and networking, but most displays somewhere have a screen that shows what devices are on the network so you can see if they are active or not. So seeing if the interface cable is visible to the network is the first thing to check. Remember that the engine key has to be “on” for the engine interface to be seen by the network.

Comment

Moonlighter - sure enough, the engine interface isn't showing up on the active list. Just to be sure I did the check on my DF225 and the engine interface cable showed up. So can I assume the cable might have gone bad or is there a way to bring it back to life?

Comment

There are generally only 2 reasons why a interface disappears from the device list.

One is that the cable has failed. On rare occasions, if instead of the Suzuki device, an unknown device appears on the device list, then reloading the interface software can bring it back. Otherwise, its dead and needs to be replaced with one that, very importantly, must be running the correct software for your engine year. You didnt mention your engine year so I cant say what version yours needs.

Second reason is that there is a physical failure in the connections between the Interface and the network. So its always worthwhile checking that:

- at the engine end, the connection from the harness to the SDS plug is good - eg its plugged in properly, that no pins are damaged in the plugs or wires broken or loose in the plugs.

- that the network T piece that the interface cable has not failed. Try swapping it to a different T piece that is known to be good. Make sure the interface is plugged into its T firmly and the connection lock ring is turned up nice and firmly.

Comment

I’m using version 3.5 with my 2018 DF140. As stated earlier was working fine prior to layup. Rechecked my wiring notes from earlier installation - engine side blue/black goes to red, engine side orange/yellow goes to white & black goes to black. Combo of red/blue is unattached on the interface cable. Traded out the T connectors from my working system (DF225) - no luck. Noticed the black module on the interface cable was warm. Maybe I fried it somehow? Is it new cable time?

Comment

Yes, new cable time, the module normally gets warm but HOT is a sign of internal things going bad. Sometimes you also see signs of water having gotten into it where the wires enter.

BTW the new (correct) version for your engine is 3.5.7.

Comment

Working...
            X