interfacing old equipment with new equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interfacing old equipment with new equipment

hello everyone... I'm new to this... trying to figure out if and how I can do what I would like to do. just purchchased a 2008 carolia skiff dlv twin df90a's. boat has a Lowrance LMS-525CDF installed with gps antenna on t-top. I purchased a Simrad GO9-XSE,SIRIUSXM antenna weather module and cable,Lowrance 000-10029-001 Navico Ethernet Expansion Port. Question Is... Can I connect the simrad go9xse and lowrance lms525-cdf by way of the NEP, and would I have to disconnect the gps antenna originally connected to the lms525-cdf to prevent the equipment from issues having gps interfacing from two different locations? And, what about having the trasducer wired to the lms525cdf and total scan transducer wired to the go9xse? (would there possibly be an issue here aswell?) Would like to keep the lms525cdf along side the go9xse so while I was underway I could possibly look at engine data on the go9xse and bottom depth on the lms525cdf. I do understaned the go9xse has split screen, but would be nice to keep both pieces of equipment on boat. OH.. and by the way I did also purchase the audio module for stereo and the NMEA 2000 starter kit I was told I would need.

Your biggest problem with this concept is that the Simrad GO xse series do not have normal ethernet networking capability - so they will not connect via ethernet (yellow cables) to the old Lowrance unit to share data, sonar or GPS screens etc. Thus the NEP most likely wont work with it.

I am not even sure if they will communicate with the weather unit.

The GO9xse yellow network plug can only be used to connect to Simrad radar as far as I am aware. Check with Simrad customer service or read the manual.

The old Lowrance unit will have very limited NMEA2000 capability as well. So it wont have engine data pages, the very best you could hope for is that you could possibly be able to overlay some engine data digital readings on each page. Alos the old external antenna you have is likely close to its lifespan, likely to gtebthe dreaded "no GPS signal" any time now! Then it will be dead.

And, if you do set up a NMEA2000 network that includes the Lowrance, you will need to cut the power wire connections from the Lowrance power cable to the antenna, because they supply network power and you cannot have 2 sources of network power.

So before you go any further check all those things out. Requires a total rethink.....

Comment

Working...
    X