Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor - Gauge - Interface Cable - Compatibility Question

Hey Guys,

Here's what I have to get installed. Curious if it's going to talk to each other correctly or if I need additional harnesses or software flashes.

Suzuki DF150 SN: 15001F-780627
    Suzuki Interface Cable Ver. 2.8
    Suzuki SMIS 4" Gauage(s) Ver. 2.6

Do I need the reverse k8?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ben

I believe you mentioned earlier that it is a 2007 model. In which case, yes you'll need the reverse K-8.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I wouldnt run interface software version 2.8 with a 2007 Suzuki. You could try, it might work.

I would run V 2.50.

Here is what Suzuki and Lowrance says re motors, gauges and interfaces:

Suzuki | LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

If you motor has the round SDS connector, (which zi believe 2007 models have) then yes, you will need the reverse K8 adapter cable.

Comment

Yep, the '07 has the round connector. And I didn't have a lot of luck with the 2.5 interface on my '07, either. 2.3 works a lot better.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
          Yep, the '07 has the round connector. And I didn't have a lot of luck with the 2.5 interface on my '07, either. 2.3 works a lot better.
          Yes fair call, 2.30 will definitely work.

The issue then with either 2.5 or 2.3 is which version for the SMIS gauge will play nicely with them.

This is the problem we have with older motors using new componentry.

Mike, are you running SMIS gauges? If so can you check which SW version they are running?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guys. I've got the reverse K8 on order.

Harper - yes, this is a 2007 model Df150.

I purchased the interface cable prior to knowing how finicky these components were. Can the v2.8 interface cable be "reprogrammed" via SMIS or should I just trash it and try to find a v2.3 version instead?

I would like to avoid too much troubleshooting by having the right cables from the get go.

As always, advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

A cable with V2.8 loaded should be able to be changed. Interesting to hear that you actually got a V2.8 cable - did you specifically order it? Where from?? What I am getting at is - Are you sure its V 2.8 and not V 2.9??

The current cables with part numbers ending in -290 or -350 are locked and cannot be changed. Typically these are all that most US dealers can supply nowadays. To my knowledge only International Marine can supply other older versions.

Now, assuming you do have a 2.8 cable, you cant upload the required software version via the SMIS gauges. It needs to be done via a Lowrance or Simrad display, attached to your network, that has an SD card slot. It can also be done thru one of the new Suzuki C-10 gauges as they have a USB port and a card reader can be attached. If youve got one of these on your network, changing intrface cable software is easy.

Also, dealers can usually do sw version changes if they have the required emulator and cables.

Have you read the paper attached to the sticky thread about Suzuki networks on this forum?? Well worth a read. It explains a lot of this stuff.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-29-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Grant, Ben, on my '07 DF150, I'm running engine interface ver 2.3, and SMIS 4" MF gauge ver 2.5.0. Works beautifully. Gets its GPS info via the NMEA 2K from a Garmin GPSMAP546s to calculate fuel economy.
                Last edited by Harper; 06-29-2017, 08:45 PM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ok Ben - there Mike has provided his setup that is working reliably, on an engine same year as yours -

Interface with SW version 2.30, accompanied by SMIS gauges version 2.5.0.

That would therefore be a safe choice for you.

Again, if you have or can get a Simrad or Lowrance display (eg an NSS or HDS) onto your network, it is quite easy to change sw versions on the gauge and interface.

On the sticky thread on this forum dealing with networks, I have provided links to download these sw update files. Simply save the required files to your PC desktop, then copy them to an SD card of suitable capacity for our chosen Simrad or Lowrance (the smaller capacity Sd card the better as those units do not work with larger capacity cards).

When you have your new network all installed and connected up, turn all devices on, then you can put the Sd card into the Simrad and go into the menu, find the file, select it and update the devices one at a time.

Please FIRST read the paper on the sticky thread where I describe this process in more detail, its very easy but it is important to do it in the right way or there will be problems! Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-networks.html
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-29-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter - Yes, it's version 2.8. Before I knew the complexity of the Suzuki interface / network, I blindly ordered "a" interface cable from eBay. Price was right at $35.... it showed up and the sticker on the cable reads v.2.8.

I've read the sticky a few times, but I didn't find specifics where it speaks to compatibility of my exact configuration. Unfortunately, I do not have Lowrance or Simrad peripherals. However, I do have a good friend with all Simrad electronics, could I just hook my interface cable to his N2k network and flash from there? Or, does it need to be hooked to the motor when flashing?

Harper - Thanks for the confirmation. I'd imagine my 2.6 SMIS gauges should work.

Comment

Originally posted by NauticallyChallenged View Post
                      Moonlighter - Yes, it's version 2.8. Before I knew the complexity of the Suzuki interface / network, I blindly ordered "a" interface cable from eBay. Price was right at $35.... it showed up and the sticker on the cable reads v.2.8.

I've read the sticky a few times, but I didn't find specifics where it speaks to compatibility of my exact configuration. Unfortunately, I do not have Lowrance or Simrad peripherals. However, I do have a good friend with all Simrad electronics, could I just hook my interface cable to his N2k network and flash from there? Or, does it need to be hooked to the motor when flashing?

Harper - Thanks for the confirmation. I'd imagine my 2.6 SMIS gauges should work.
                      The interface cable needs to be connected to a SUZUKI motor that is powered on in order for it to be recognised by the network it is connected to. (Also, just because it has V 2.8 on the tag doesnt mean someone may not have already reflashed it to another version!!)

The good news is that you would be 99.9% sure that you can reflash your cable to any other version. Good price you got it for, by the way!!! These cables usually sell for 25% more than the new V3.5.0 models!!!

So, If your friend also has a Suzuki on his network, you could connect your cable to his engine and then to his network at the other end (ie replace his interface connections with yours), and then do the software change to V 2.30 via his Simrad display. It wont change his interface or network if you do it that way. I have done a few cables for friends on my boat that way.

With V 2.30 when you finish the sw update, go back into the Simrad menu and confirm that the interface cable is now showing as V 2.30.

Also, dont assume that SMIS version 2.6 will work!! It may well NOT work properly with interface V2.30. You are making the incorrect assumption that because V2.6 is the newer version it will work, when in fact the newer releases were found to be problematic with earlier interface software versions. Lowrance went so far as to issuing warnings NOT to update SMIS software when they released new versions for this precise reason.

Remember, V2.30 interface is an older version and at the time, SMIS V2.5 was the current version that was designed to work with it. The subsequent interface sw versions were released so they woruld work with newer motors and newer interface versions.

So bottom line: running SMIS V 2.6 with interface sw V 2.30 is a greater risk of not working. It MIGHT work OK, but ................ V 2.5 WILL work properly.
                      Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-01-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Hello I am looking for the firmware 2.5 for the SMIS gauge. If someone could help me, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jyna44 View Post
                          Hello I am looking for the firmware 2.5 for the SMIS gauge. If someone could help me, thank you

You can download it from my dropbox folder.

a link is on the first post on this thread:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...a2000-networks

Comment

Monnlighter - Thanks for this link

Comment

Reviving this one... Been running the boat with interface version 2.8 and SMIS version 2.6. Works fine but doesn’t display fuel burn accurate. Seems to be off by a factor of about 2.

My buddy has a simrad unit, and I finally coaxed him in to bringing it up to hook into my network to downgrade my software in both the SMIS gauges and the interface cable per Moolighter and Harper’s suggestions.

getting the SMIS gauges to take 2.5was easy... no problem

tje Ver. 2.8 interface cable did not take the bait. Network recognized the cable, but I was unable to load version 2.3. What could have happened here?

motor was in the “on” position. Network was live and powered when I attempted to update. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X