2020 300hp water pump leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 300hp water pump leaking

Just completed the 200 hour service on my one year old 300 Suzuki outboard and everything was very straight forward and fairly easy. After replacing the water pump I noticed more water coming out of the lower unit then normal when I hooked it up to the muffs. I fired it up and a weak stream came out - i figured this was just from the muffs and I didn't run but maybe ten seconds. We launched and my son backed it up off the trailer but a few minutes later the overheat alarm went off and he was towed back to the ramp. Fast forward and I have removed the lower and rebuilt the water pump 5 times. I've done many water pumps in the past and never had an issue like this. With the LU off, I can put a hose on the water tube and the motor instantly starts peeing, so I feel confident the problem is in the pump. I have compared the old parts to the new ones and the only difference is the wear plate is smaller but I did install the block off in front of the water pump, plus I tried the old wear plate and still the same thing. I did notice the grommet above the spacer was missing so I ordered one and installed it but this did not have any impact and water still pours out the water intakes on the lower unit. I have verified the key is installed on the shaft, the impellor turns, the shaft was turned CW when the housing was installed so vanes are in correct position, water control valve aka poppet on the starboard is closed and working correctly so I am at a loss and feel like I am missing something very basic. I have searched previous threads, videos. etc and those with similar issues were researched and don't seem to be my issue. any thoughts on this one?

No comments?

Comment

How did you make out?

Comment

Going to the dealer tomorrow. The entire thing is baffling.

Comment

Could the bushing at the top of the water tube be damaged? I crushed one once while re-installing the lower unit on a DF140. The lose of pressure was enough to create the same problems you've described.

Item 9 on the parts diagram.

Comment

#9 shows looks to be the bushing at the top of the water pipe under the block. Maybe you are talking about #11? I talked to the head mechanic this morning when I dropped it off and he agreed it was definitely strange so hopefully I will know something early next week. The main T/T ram is leaking as well so they need to address that under warranty so it won't be a quick in and out for the waterpump.

Comment

I actually was referring to #9, or at least the top bushing. While the DF140 water tube/pipe is different, it is similar in principle as it relates to the problem you've experienced.

Years ago, the water tube on one of my engines pulled out of the top bushing during removal of the lower unit. The tube remained up inside the lower housing and when I re-installed the lower unit the tube was evidently not in line with the bushing. One side of the bushing was cut during re-assembly resulting in enough of a leak to cause over-heating.

It was a real "head scratcher" because I did not see the upper bushing without looking up into the lower unit housing. Heck, I didn't even consider that the tube would drop out of the bushing, so I didn't look.

Anyhow, the description of your problem reminded me of my situation which prompted my post. Good luck to you. Let us know what the mechanic finds.

Comment

SOLVED. The dealer called me today and the cup, o-ring and impellor they sold me were for a different motor and it was sucking air and zero chance it would ever work. They installed the correct parts and it's all good.

Comment

Glad you are back in business.

Now enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                  X