Current project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current project

IMG_Aug182021at112626PM.jpg Currently rebuilding 2 2013 DF300 AP's. Bought them complete for a reasonable amount, they were submerged in salt water. Don't know how long. Bored .50mm over on the cylinders, .25mm on the mains, rods were good. Mains had about 0.002 corrosion in journal center, cleaned up fine. Heads looked OK. Found some unusual? wear on the exhaust valves near the face on the valve stem. Some erosion, valve stem was starting to get hour glass look. Appears on the majority of the exhaust valve stems. Replacing all the exhaust valves and guides with new. Intakes refaced right up guides within specs, exhaust valves always take more of a beating. Pulled them apart except for the lower units. Replaced 2 PTT motors, tilt pins, etc. Lowers pressure tested fine will wait till they're up and running before diving into that if necessary.

IMG_Aug142021at14957AM.jpgIMG_Aug142021at15036AM.jpgIMG_Aug142021at15106AM.jpgIMG_Aug142021at15216AM.jpg

Nice work! Keep us posted on progress please!

So, perhaps the previous owner neglected to have the valve clearances checked as is specified in the factory service schedule? 1st check at 200 hours if I recall correctly.

Comment

Exactly what ran through my mind on the tappet clearances for the exhaust valves. What a massive undertaking. Oh boy, new parts x 2.

Comment

Couple of quick pics. I needed 2 PTT motors. Tore down the originals and cleaned up the armatures and brushes, they worked for a while but I wasn't satisfied didn't want to do them again. I was watching a Youtube video of someone changing one out and he was complaining about paying $600 for the motor. Who pays $600 for a PTT motor?, not me.
        Looked around and found aftermarket for $119 with the cannon plug. Turns out these motors are used on a bunch of different outboards from every manufacturer. Then I found one for $70 with ring terminals. Simply cut off the ring terminals take your old cannon plug, some shrink tubing, and butt connectors and save a sh__tload of money. BTW I tore down a new one and they are IDENTICAL to the $600 Suzuki, right down to the number on the brush assembly. If you look around you can save some money, if you know where to look. The exhaust guides for these motors retail for about $30 each? WTF. Exhaust valves $32 each. Total 2 motors $1488. I bought them elsewhere OEM for $639. Go figure IMG_Aug192021at114815PM.jpgIMG_Aug192021at114918PM.jpg

Comment

Updated pics on the project. Maybe a couple of weeks till I fire them up. My next projects is sitting there, triple Verado 300's, those will be going to 300 HP + for sure. The Suzuki's will be going up for sale complete with rigging and warranty. IMG_4440_1_25.jpgIMG_4441_1_25.jpgIMG_4442_25.jpgIMG_4443_25.jpgIMG_4444_25.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X