Recommended Prop Pitch for DF25A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Prop Pitch for DF25A

I'm a complete noob, and I need help! First, what's the pitch of the prop that is originally shipped with the DF25A? Second, should I be using a different pitch prop? My boat is a home-built mini-houseboat on a 20-foot LOA barge-style hull, 8-foot beam, shaped like a jon boat on steroids. The boat, with motor, weighs 4300 pounds, without people aboard. She cruises sedately at a speed of about 7 mph, never gets up on a plane and never will. I'm quite satisfied with the performance I get with the original prop, but I have no idea what it's specs are, or what I might be missing with a different one. I don't know how to post a picture of the boat, but if you want to see what she looks like, she has her own dedicated FB page, Jersey Girl the Houseboat. Thanks for any advice!

I’m not sure about the oe prop. But usually it’s a 15, from my experiences. But a lower pitch will provide you a better hole shoot that a higher pitched prop. A higher pitch is showed out the hole but will give you better top speed. You just have to be careful because you don’t really wanna under/over rev it. I just got a 10 pitch for my df25. I ordered another 15 but I guess what sellers confuse their numbers lol. So ima just try the ten out and see what happens. I might actually get a high pitch prop because that motor it’s slow as it is. Unless my boat is heavier than I think. But it seems to me with a 15 it under revs. Like there’s horse power not being used. But if I were you, pushing around 4000 pounds, I might go with a low pitch because your not gonna want to be going fast any way. Jmo.

Comment

Jim - the “normal” way of selecting a prop for a motor on a planing hull is obviously not going to apply in the circumstances of your boat. Where yours is never going to plane.

I dare say that you dont have a tacho or any way to check rpm achieved at full throttle?

So the prop details are sometimes found on the inside of the prop hub, you would need to take it off to see the size stamped in there. May need to clean the soot away to read it.

I really dont know what to suggest re a better prop in your circumstances. Does the boat manufacturer have any suggestions on props or even some general recommendations that could help? Or you could try talking to someone like Ken at the propgods.com, he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to props.

Comment

Working...
      X