SMG4 Multifunction Gauge Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMG4 Multifunction Gauge Fit

We have a DF250 2012 model. Fitted with the round SMIS Gauge which we wish to replace with the SMG4 Multifunction Gauge. Having read posts in the forum it seems our engine may be too old.
    Could somebody give us the definitive answer, Is there any way to make this upgrade work ?
    Cheers

SMG4 works with and is supported by Suzuki for 2015 and newer engines.

Bear in mind that the rest of the world outside the USA has had SMG4 since 2015.

My local Suzuki guy (Australia) is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable in Australia. He has been installing SMG4 since they were released in 2015 and he loves them.

Ive spoken to him several times about this question of use with earlier engines, and he informs me that he has tried them with earlier engines and only had limited success with some marginally earlier AP/fly by wire models. They were just a couple of years earlier than 2015.

Every time he tested them with earlier mechanical engines he couldnt get them to work properly, meaning that either they didnt work at all, or at best, sometimes he got some engine data to show, but either it was incomplete or unstable.

He could clearly make money selling them to owners of pre 2015 engines, but he wont because his experience is they dont work satisfactorily as described earlier.

Comment

Thankyou for this, It sounds like I should forget the idea..
      Do we know what the older engines dont have.. (Older ecu version, or ???)
      Can SMG4 be connected via nmea with limited usage ?
      Can data the SMIS gives be read on GPS etc via Nmea ?
      Many thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Richyrich06 View Post
        Thankyou for this, It sounds like I should forget the idea.. yes forget it!
        Do we know what the older engines dont have.. (Older ecu version, or ???) No.
        Can SMG4 be connected via nmea with limited usage ? No.
        Can data the SMIS gives be read on GPS etc via Nmea ? Yes. See the sticky thread on Suzuki NMEA2000 networks.
        Many thanks for your help
        Answers added above.

Your best bet to replace SMIS is a Suzuki C-10. Fits in same hole too. Many people have installed them with older engines and they work fine.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-29-2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Fantastic info, Thankyou so much..
          A couple more questions...
          Is there a list of parameters that can be read on an MFD through SIMS Gauge?
          Does a C10 Connect in direct place of SIMS. (i.e. uses same engine loom to dash)
          Many thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Richyrich06 View Post
            Fantastic info, Thankyou so much..
            A couple more questions...

Is there a list of parameters that can be read on an MFD through SIMS Gauge?
            Lets get this straightened out. The SMIS gauge doesnt provide the information, its just largely a dumb display. The way it works is like this. The Suzuki Interface cable gets raw data from the engine’s ecu in J1939 format (same as your car) and converts it to NMEA2000 format. It also saves some data such as fuel used etc.

It then sends all of that engine information to the network. Then, any compatible display, be that a gauge or a MFD, thatnis attached to the network can display that information. The display can also combine info it has with the engine data to give extra information - eg the MFD can use its GPS capabilities to use speed and distance data in combination with fuel flow from the interface to calculate stuff like mpg, distance to empty, average fuel economy etc.

Engine data transmitted to network from the interface is as follows, therefore any of the gauges and MFD’s can display all of this, simultaneously if you want them to.
            RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Engine diagnostics are also transmitted from later models.
            Engines with Fly-By-Wire digital throttle control also get transmission gear.

You can also get additional sensors including water speed, water pressure, fluid levels, and water temperature to add to your network or engine.

Does a C10 Connect in direct place of SIMS. (i.e. uses same engine loom to dash) Yes, its the same as SMIS, fits into the same hole, and C-10 also has a wired in network cable the same way that SMIS does. To install it, unplug SMIS from its T piece and plug C-10 into the same T. Fit it into the dash. Done.

Many thanks again
            Answers added again.

Comment

Fantastic, You explain it very well, I will leave you in peace now.
              Thanks again

Comment

C-10 is a clone of Simrad IS-35. It seems that you dont get a user manual with C-10.

So go to Simrad website and download a copy of the IS-35 user manual. Its 99% identical to C-10 and shows you how to set it up etc.

Comment

Dear Moonlighter!

My name is Zoltan,and i'm from Hungary.(At first, sorry for my poor English!I hope you will understand what i want )
                  I have on my boat a suzuki 60 hp outboard engine with four mechanical gauges(an hour meter,a voltmeter,trim meter,and a multif. tachometer.
                  I want a fuel gauge too,but it isn't available anymore at Suzuki Company.That's why i'd like to connect a SMG4 qauge to my equipment.
                  If i get you right , am i able to use both analog gauges and SMG 4 at the same time?!
                  I have to connect the Smg4 directly to engine sds connector with a homemade SDS cable.

engine sds connector---> homemade SDS adapter cable with two male plug-->adapter comp gauge item no:36661-96L10 ----> SMG4

And the analog gauges use the Suzuki original remote control wiring harness.
                  And if i share the trim connector i can see the trim level on both gauges too(trim gauge and SMG4).

I can develope to NMEA 2000 system later(gps, depth sounder .....)

Let me know,if i'm wrong, and i would be grateful for your help!

Best regards:Zoltan

Comment

...sorry.....my engine is a year old....

Comment

Hi Zoltan

I have never contemplated using SMG4 and analogue gauges together. SMG4 will work fine with a 2020 year engine.

Firstly, why would you want to have both? SMG4 will give you everything that the analogue gauges give, plus more. So there is no need to keep the analogue gauges at all once you have SMG4 installed.

Secondly I dont think it can be done due to the way that SMG4 is connected to the engine harness.

Comment

Hi Moonlighter!
                        You has right,the SMG4 gives lot of data acess,but if install this one and i remove the analog gauges what can i to do the holes of the analog gauges?
                        And ,something , another way ,to use both of them?

Comment

I would suggest having a new fascia made for the dash to cover the holes. Can be made from plastics and composite materials, and make the dash look better than new!

That is what most people do when updating their dash and gauges.

There are many companies that can make these for you. An example follows. I am sure you can find some similar suppliers in your country.

Even a signwriter can probably make a suitable panel.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/custom-dash-panels

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...=#post12882572
                          Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-03-2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                            X