2011 DF140 digital trim information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 DF140 digital trim information

Hi all, thanks in advance for your assistance with this issue, and thanks to moonlighter for the comprehensive information provided in relation to suzuki nmea200 networks and digital gauge installation.

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand boat with a 2011 df140. The boat came with a lowrance HDS MFD and the 4 x suzuki analogue gauge setup (tacho / speedo / trim / fuel). The boat already had the engine interface installed, as the digital engine info (rpm / fuel use / temp etc) was displayed on the MFD. I have recently moved on the HDS and upgrade to a new garmin echomap ultra 105sv, and to tidy up the dash i have done away with all analogue gauges and now have a single garmin gmi20 installed. I can get all digital engine information to both my MFD, and the GMI20 EXCEPT trim data. I have gone through all configurations etc and cannot get it to work. From doing research on this site, it appears there may be a trim plug that is connected in a different location / plug depending on if analogue or digital gauges are being used, is this correct? Any information from someone with knowledge in relation to this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

You said that that previously you had an analogue trim gauge. So it would have been connected to a 2 pin plug on the wiring harness. On the interface cable there are 2 plugs, one is a 4 pin and that will already be connected to a cable, the second is a 2 pin plug for trim data, and you need to connect it to the plug that the trim gauge was connected to.

Secondly, by removing the analogue tacho that has the warning lights at the bottom you now have no way to see engine fault codes or service reminders. They will not show on the Garmin displays. Not recommended.

Comment

Hi moonlighter, thanks for your speedy response mate!

I was aware this may be the case when going from analogue to digital, so i have left the loom for the analogue gauges tucked up behind the dash so as to allow an analogue gauge to be reconnected easily if required. I have also got my hands on the suzuki 'warning light panel' which i believe was used when people were replacing analogue gauges with digital and want to keep the warning lights, is this correct? The panel has seen better days though, are you aware if these are still available for purchase? My other option i guess is to just reconnect the analogue tacho and run that in conjunction with the digital gauge and MFD, can this be done?

Interestingly, my mate who is a boat fitter installed the new system for me. I raised the issue with him in relation to the alarms potentially not working with the digital gauge. He told me he tested it by earthing out the temp sensor which activated the audible alarm, as well as providing a visual alarm indication on the GMI20 digital gauge............ He seems to think the alarms are operational, but i am interested to hear your opinion on that.

In relation to the trim, i will trace the interface cable and locate the 2 pin plug you're referring to. Thanks for that. Can you recall which colour wires on the suzuki wiring harness provide the trim data?

Huge thanks for your help.

Regards, Alex.

Comment

You will get oil pressure and temp alarms on the Garmin display, but not fault codes. Eg water in fuel, various sensor codes. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum it lists all the fault codes. Lots of them, and they are all important/helpful re solving issues.

Yes you can use that warning panel instead of the tacho for the lights. If you are in Australia I know that Bayside Suzuki Marine at Cleveland Qld has a few used but good condition panels that you could likely get for a reasonable price.

The warning panel plugs in where the analogue gauges were connected, its pretty obvious where it goes. Or as you said , you can run the analogue tacho.

In both cases it depends on how your mate changed the wiring - if he left the interface connection how it originally was with the Lowrance display, the analogue gauge harness behind the dash will still be able to be used for the panel or tacho.

But If he changed the harness connection at the engine end across to the SDS plug then the analogue gauges/panel wont be able to work.

And unless some dummy cut the tacho plug off the wiring harness behind the dash, its just a simple 2 pin plug that connects to the spare 2 pin plug on the interface cable. Its likely the only one there.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-03-2021, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Had a read of the sticky thread in relation to fault / sensor codes - thanks heaps for that, i was unaware. I have printed those documents and popped them in the boat in a waterproof sleeve to refer to if i need them.

I am in Australia (Adelaide), so I will get onto bayside marine and grab one, thanks! The warning panel will be a much neater option than reinstalling the analogue tacho.

The interface connection was not touched, was left as is. The analogue gauges were just unplugged and the harness was left bundled up behind the dash but has not been modified or interfered with, so should be able to just be plugged in.

Will let you know how i go.

Again, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex.

Comment

UPDATE: I located the 2-pin trim plug on the interface cable and connected to the wiring harness - trim now works perfectly on the GMI20 digital gauge.

In relation to the engine warning light panel - i see this comes with a 4 pin connector that plugs into the wiring harness which is self explanatory, but also comes with 2 x grey wires (1 x male connector and 1 x female connector) as well as 2 x black wires (1 x male connector and 1 x female connector). Am i right in assuming that the reason for this is because they are 'piggy backed' and designed to be wired up in 'series'? I have no analogue gauges, so am i right in assuming i only need to connect 1 x grey wire and 1 x black wire from the warning light panel (in addition to the 4 pin connector) to the wiring harness? If so, is it grey wire from wiring harness to grey wire on warning panel, and black wire from wiring harness to black wire from warning light panel?

Thanks again

Alex.

Comment

Ok good work so far!

The warning panel plugs into the engine gauge harness behind the dash – the white 4 pin plug connects to the corresponding harness plug, but you only connect 1 pair of the 4 wires from the panel to the corresponding colour harness wires. Bullet connectors, they just plug in.

Comment

Awesome, thanks mate. Will let you know how i go!

Comment

Working...
                X