first trip out, odd steering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first trip out, odd steering.

new to me boat. ram like a dream. motor did excellent.

a driveway test proved the steering was very stiff, would be very hard and smooth and almost like it was hitting a wall then smooth. i pumped every fitting with grease abs it helped a good deal, but still have not so smooth steering. do i need a nee ram?

2006 d115

okay research has let me to believe i have seastar manual steering. not hydraulic. i also disconnected steering rod from motor and it spins like glass. the motor is sticky in the vertical steering tube? any fixes or tricks?

Comment

If you disconnected the steering rod from the motor, the motor should move side to side very easily. If it does not, its possible that the grease inside the steering pivot has hardened up if not regularly maintained. This is a maintenance issue, should be greasing this area at least annually and more in extreme conditions.

Some people have used a heat gun to carefully warm the steering tube up then pumped grease into all grease nipples a lot, until clean fresh grease is coming out. Worth a try, maybe others will have more suggestions.

Comment

i'll give it a go tomorrow n let ya know

Comment

Working...
        X