Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 DF300 Overheat alarm (false) any fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 DF300 Overheat alarm (false) any fix?

I just bought a 2006 GlacierBay 3480 with 2009 DF300s, in the two trips that I have had this boat out, I get a false overheat alarm after coming off cruise at ~4000 RPM down to RPMs under 1000 and/or idle, the first trip it was the Port engine that alarmed, I immediately checked and both motors were peeing fine, temps read 130 on the SMIS gauges for both motors so it appeared to be a "false" overheat alarm. On the second trip out this past weekend, as we slowed down from 4000RPM as we approached the spot, I got the overheat alarm, but this time on SB engine. Again, both motors peeing fine, appeared to be false alarm. I say false, but perhaps the gradient sensors on these didnt like the rate of temp change due to the change of water flow when dropping to lower RPMs? So, on the way back to port, instead of coming down from 4000 RPMs to <1000 RPM as we approached, I went in smaller steps, 4000 to 2800 to 2000, down to 1000 and did not get the alarm. Anyone experience this and know how to resolve. I have read a few online posts, some say its the older SMIS gauges reading the data incorrectly, so you should replace them, the others talk of replacing everything under the sun, just curious if anyone here has this and found a straight forward resolution?

Just my opinion, but I'd suspect a temperature sensor before suspecting that the SMIS gauge(s) are giving faulty readouts. They get their info directly from the ECU, which of course is also what sets off the alarm based on sensor input. You have three temp sensors on each engine, two exhaust and a water on one of the cylinder heads. Since the water temp is surely read from the cylinder head sensor, my first test would be to swap that with one of your exhaust temp sensors (they are the same part), just to see what happens.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike, I will give that a shot!

Comment

Working...
      X