27 Contender 200 Suziki's - Prop Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 Contender 200 Suziki's - Prop Help

Hey guys, I just got my 27 Open back from a refit which included a pair of new 200 Suzuki's. After a fair amount of research on different fourms, I opted for a set of 4 blade 15.25" 22 pitch props. I have about 12 hours on it now. Generally speaking from a performance perspective things seem OK. At 4K I'm doing about 29, at 6200 about 48 which is plenty fast for me. The problem I'm having is the props seems to be slipping/ventilating so to speak. It's seems to happen more when I throttle up but does happen some when cruising. I'll watch the tach and can see it swing 400-700 RPM.

So for my question,,,, after reading a bunch of threads it would seem getting a prop with more 'bite' might help,,, but I'm not sure. Would swapping my props for a set with a 24 pitch move me in the right direction??

“Bite” is not the same as pitch. Changing the same props from 22 to 24” pitch will simply lower the rpm across the range.

If you are hitting 6200 at WOT and its not hitting the rev limiter, then your engine is pretty well in the right range now.

A 2” increase in pitch with the same prop make and model will likely see a 300-400rpm decrease. So you might still be in a reasonable rev range although you might expect a less enthusiastic hole shot. And also, all props are not created equal - some makes and models are better than others and suit different boats/engines, so its difficult to predict. Engine mounting height akso comes into it as well……

I have concluded that props are part science and part art…..

A major dealer in the US such as Outboard Specialties in Florida will have done many repowers with similar boats. I would suggest you contact then - they have a forum of their own over on The Hull Truth and many people ask this kind of question there, and they are usually able to offer advice based on their expensive experience.

Comment

Moonlighter,,, thanks for your thoughts. I agree about the science and art in prop selection,, maybe a bit of voodoo as well LOL. I've asked over on THT as well nothing definitive as of yet. Ken from Prop Gods has suggested changing the toe and testing so that'll happen today.

Comment

Working...
      X