2013 DF115A IAC Valve Short Damaged ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 DF115A IAC Valve Short Damaged ECU

I have twin 2013 DF115A's on my boat. One shut off while running on plane, and there was smoke coming out of the cowling and you could smell the burnt electrical smell. From reading on here and other places it sounds like I have the IAC short problem that burns out the ecu. I tested the IAC and it was only 1 ohm of resistance, and the 30 amp fuse to the ECU was burned out. I read online that there was some type of recall or service bulletin on these engines. Does anyone know if it would be possible for Suzuki to still replace this even thought the engines are out of warranty? I called my local dealer and am waiting to hear back. My other question is I have read that when you replace the IAC valve and ECU that there is also a new throttle body design and would need to replace that also, is that true or can I just replace the IAC valve and ECU? On my good engine should I just replace the IAC Valve to prevent this from happening in the future, or do I need to replace the ECU also? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Conunuu; 10-18-2021, 12:40 PM.

There was a service bulletin about it. I dont have a copy.

Happened to one of a friend’s engines, same year as yours. Not as extreme, there was no smoke and the engine still ran although badly.

His were still under warranty so there was no debate about whether Suzuki would fix it, they did and new IAC/throttle bodies fitted to both engines even though only one had the issue. Damaged ecu was replaced.

I would wait till you hear back from your dealer, and try to work with them.

Depending on your country there may also be consumer laws that give you some protection especially in cases like this where there is a known design fault. Especially if you have had the engine dealer serviced there should be room for goodwill to play a part.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have not had them serviced at this dealer, but I had a previous boat repowered by them and have a good relationship with them. I am the second owner of this boat and they were serviced by another dealer. Hopefully Suzuki can help out.

Comment

Well, life got in the way and I have just fixed this issue. It was the IAC valve shorting out the ECU. I put the new ECU in and IAC valve and the engine cranked right up. I did not change the throttle body, so far it seems to be idling and running fine. If I have any issues I will replace the throttle body with the new version. One issue I ran into was the new ECU from Browns Point was a much newer model and would not communicate over my original interface cable running an older software. I don't have a Lowrance chart plotter to update the original cable, so I ordered a new cable with software version 3.5.7 and it connected with out issue to my older SMIS gauges and had my engine data back for the starboard engine.

One interesting thing is with the new ECU and cable my Garmin chart plotter and the Suzuki gauges now show when the engine is in gear. Does anyone know if that is due to the updated interface software or the ECU? I would like to get that capability onto the port engine if it is only the interface.

I do still have one issue, I cannot calibrate the engine trim. Either that menu choice is missing on my Suzuki SMIS gauges or I can't find it, or it may be an issue with the new interface software running with the old gauge software. I know in the manual it says that option is not available until you have a trim gauge page setup on the main screen. I have a trim page set on one of the screens with both engines, I have also tried setting up a trim gauge page on the gauge for just the starboard engine with only one bar but still can't find the menu. Is it found by navigating to the trim page and then pressing customize or somewhere else? Thanks for your help!

Comment

Here’s a link to the SMIS manual.

refer to pages 45 and 46 for trim calibration.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...nch_Manual.pdf

The reason the IAC damaged the ecu is because it stuck, then shorted out and sent continuous voltage to the ecu.

The new throttle body design is said to address this problem, so you might want to consider the replacement. Even though out of warranty, Suzuki could/should help with the cost as its a known manufacturing/design fault.

The transmission gear signal is sent by the ecu, so I would suspect that to get it for both engines would require replacement of the other ecu. Pretty expensive just to get that. I dont think its an interface software issue because some other engines earlier showed gear position using earlier versions.

Note: interface software is linked to engine model year. Eg the ecu year.

Being a 2013 model your engines SHOULD have been running version 3.5 all along, but its possible that while they were sold in 2013 they may still have been 2012 model year and in that case, the interfaces would have been version 2.9. Which wont work (properly) with a 2013 model ecu.

Make sure you check fuel flow rates on both engines because running incorrect software versions usually manifests itself firstly with inaccurate fuel data. Having twins, you have the advantage of being able to compare them.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help!

My problem is when I navigate to the engine trim page, and hit menu as the manual says, there is no trim cal choice. I think it may be a problem with the different versions of the interface versus screen. I then tried setting up a trim page for each individual engine on individual screens with just one engine, and tried it with only the port interface since it is still on the original software version, and the new starboard interface turned off, but the menu choice is still not there.

You're right, I probably should get the new throttle bodies.

Well, I'm definitely not going to get a new ECU to know if I'm in gear, that would be expensive!

My original interfaces where running 2.5 according to my Garmin chart plotter, and the screens 2.5 also. I was worried that Garmin might not report the software version correctly, but it is showing the new starboard interface as 3.5.7

The new ECU is a 2019 model according to the part number, do you think I should set the engine up on the interface as a 2013 model or should I use 2019 to match the ECU. Right now I have it as 2013

I'm headed out this week to give it a good run, and will be sure to check the flow rate.

Comment

With interface version 3.5.7 and 2.5.0 the engine year and hp are automatically detected, and even if you try to change the setting, they will immediately revert back to the one detected. It sets them at the engine family level etc so just ignore those settings.

Did you connect the trim plug on the interface cable to the trim plug from the gauge harness?

Comment

Yes, I did connect the trim plug. It is receiving info from the engine trim, but is calibrated wrong. Starting out trimmed fully down it reads 80% up, and quickly reaches 100%.

Comment

On some later engines, trim data is sent via the main harness. The 2019 ecu may do that. So maybe its getting confused with 2 lots of trim data…

Maybe try this - unplug the trim plug from the interface cable. Then check to see if the calibration looks better and if the calibration options are then available.

Thats about all the ideas I have for you on this issue, unfortunately.

Comment

That's a great idea, I'll try that.

I took the boat out for a 30 nm run, at the end the port motor had used 5.6 gallons, starboard 5.3 gallons. I don't know if that is close enough that the fuel flow on the new starboard ecu is accurate or not. I have never closely scrutinized the fuel flow between the two engines, so I can't compare well to before. I pulled the flow up on both while I was running and at times they would be the same or within a tenth, other times .5 to .6 different. It's easy to have one engine or another with slightly more throttle, and the trim will effect it also so I guess I will keep watching it before I worry about upgrading software or calibrating the flow. I don't ever fill this boat all of the way up because it gets such good mileage and I don't want to end up with a bunch of ethanol gasoline going bad, but I think I will on the next trip and see how close everything is.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X