Interface V3.5 cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface V3.5 cable

I know there have been several discussions on the interface cables and have read the page with lots of info on the cable. I just purchased a used V3.5 cable for a 2022 250 I have on order for Jan/Feb (fingers crossed). Does the version have to be updated and can I do it myself? Thanks!

If you buy a brand new cable today it will be loaded with version 3.5.7 and it would be the recommended version for a 2022 engine. However I haven’t been able to get a copy of the 3.5.7 software from anywhere.

Prior to that, version 3.5.4 was the most up to date version. It was quite solid and I didnt hear of any issues with it. Not sure whether 3.5.7 had any enhancements etc for 21/22 engines.

The problem with answering your question about updating the used cable you got is that there were 2 versions of the interface cables that ran 3.5.0 software.

The early version 3.5.0 cable ran the .luf software and it cannot be upgraded any further. That cable can be distinguished by the 2 walnut sized noise suppressors, which the new version doesn’t have. (By the way thise cables are highly sought after because they can be downgraded to run V2.30 which works with early engines)

If you have the newer version 3.5 cable, with no noise suppressors, then it can be updated to run 3.5.4 (with the .swup software design) and Im reasonably sure that should be fine with the 2022 year engine. The 3.5.0 software had some stability and reliability issues so if thats what it is currently loaded with it would definitely be recommended to upgrade it to 3.5.4.

To load the software you will need to have a Suzuki C-10 gauge, or a Simrad NSS or GO series display, or a Lowrance HDS or Elite Ti or FS display on the same NMEA2000 network - they are the only displays that can do the upload.

Its easy to do.

Comment

To upload a different version software to the Suzuki interface cable, the procedure is detailed below.

This upload can be done using a Suzuki C-10 gauge (you copy the update software file to a usb stick and connect it to the C-10) or with any Simrad NSS or GO series MFD or any Lowrance HDS or Elite Ti/FS model (copy the file to a sd card that will fit into the MFD, again it must be no greater than 32GB capacity or the MFD cant read it.)

Important note 1: if you have multiple engines you should be careful! If all engines keys are turned on when you upload the software update, it will attempt to update them all simultaneously and that will more than likely cause the update to crash. So, either turn one engine key on at a time to do the upload individually, or, unplug all bar one interface from the network and do them one at a time.

Important Note 2: the old style interface cables running the .luf software design can only be loaded with .luf software files. They cannot be uploaded with the new .swup software that is used by the current model cables. Similarly, the new .swup cables cannot be loaded with .luf software.

Now, the upload procedure is as follows:
      1. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps (but you dont need to start the engine)
      2. Open the C-10 or Simrad/Lowrance MFD menu, find the files/storage page and locate the usb stick or sd card, open it, and select the software update file.
      3. Select upload. Wait while it uploads, you will see a update progress bar as it uploads. It can take a minute or so to upload. Exit when its done.
      4. Then go into the menu again and find network/devices and then open the device list. Locate the Suzuki interface that was just updated. Select configure, it opens a page showing details including the software version. So make sure that the software version listed now matches the version you uploaded.
      5. Also, make sure that the engine location setting is correct, if not, set it using the dropdown on that page.
      6. Do not attempt to change the hp or year settings. These are auto detected on all software versions later than 2.30. Version 2.30 is the only one that you need to manually set the hp and location.
      Here is a link to my copy of V3.5.4.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...5-04.swup?dl=0

Comment

First off thanks very much for your detailed response, Very informative! I did read your other posts regarding the instructions etc. but could not find anything on newer motors. I do have a Lowrance Elite FS screen on my boat so that is good. I wont be able to update the cable (if its updatable, yet to be determined) before the motor is installed by the looks of things. I should be receiving the cable some time next week. I guess there isn't a work around for updating the cables firmware without a motor present? Thanks!

Comment

Nope. Has to be connected to an engine via the NMEA2000 network to do the update because the interface gets power from its connection to the engine.

And yes the Elite FS will do the job nicely.

You will be able to determine what model the cable is when you receive it. Those noise suppressors stand out like dogs b……

I imagine you are intending to run analogue gauges plus link the engine to the FS? If so make sure you get the Suzuki analogue tacho with the 3 warning lights at the bottom, you need them to get engine fault codes.

If going that way you will also need the SDS Adapter cable to run from the engine to the dash area and connect the interface cable to it up there.

The sticky thread near the top of the forum explains why that is needed and how to make ypur own adapter cable if you want to, or that you should extend the factory adapter cable if you buy it.

Comment

Perfect! thanks I will make up an adapter cable and get an analog gauge

Comment

Working...
            X