I think I may have mucked up my lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I may have mucked up my lower unit

Today I was out fishing and I trimmed up my Ulterra trolling motor all the way up to move forward 100 yds, using my engine.. As I was going forward a boat cut in front of me and before I had time to think his wake is bouncing my bow and the trolling motor dropped down. Without thinking I threw my shifter into neutral (2000 rpm not on plane) alas the shifter slipped past neutral and bumped reverse. Of course, I immediately shifted back to neutral. Too late! I didn't hear a bang, pow or noise that stated the obvious. However, there is no forward or reverse! Does anyone have a clue what I can expect to find? Did I shear the pin on the pinion gear at the bottom of the drive shaft? I think it may be time to repower. This is an 07, DF140 that has around 1700 hrs. I think I killed ole Bessie.
    Sign me dumber

I would first look at the shift cables, one may have broken. Or the shift mechanism in the throttle box.

Gearboxes are pretty tough and I think the problem is more likely to be a cable or linkage.

Comment

But maybe you just need an excuse to convince the Minister For War and Finance (the wife LoL) !

I hear that the new DF140BG model, with fly by wire and some other great new features, is a cracker engine!

Comment

Yeah Moonlighter, I really do need to repower. However, since it was such a new lower unit I might file with insurance. I talked to a local Suzuki repair shop and they indicated they would provide pics, etc to Ins Co and take care of the whole process. I might take it to them. I already looked at the shifter cables. I had just greased the zirc and cleaned that area up and it was shifting so smoothly. I would have thought I would hear a bang or clunk. I was even hoping maybe I had spun the prop hub, how that would happen I don't know. Anyway, I was just looking for thoughts. I will keep this new model in mind. Maybe insurance will do something and offer cash. I would love a new engine to finish my career with. These 100% composite boats just don't wear out, though I'm on my 2nd trailer. Nothing like salt water service!

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
          These 100% composite boats just don't wear out, though I'm on my 2nd trailer. Nothing like salt water service!
          Just curious....what kind of boat do you have? I kind of did the same thing with my DF150 last week. Hit a wave pretty hard and the anchor slipped loose. I heard the chain dropping and was on plane, but fairly slow, turning about 3000rpm. Reacted by going straight to reverse. Didn't hurt anything, fortunately.
          Last edited by Harper; 10-26-2021, 09:53 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have a 2020 Blazer Bay. What a miracle for your motor. I dropped lower unit this am. The shifter moves forward and reverse. I can feel prop moving gears in forward and reverse. Plus neutral free spins. However, there is nothing with the driveshaft. It does not move. turning driveshaft in gear does nada.

Comment

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/marine/...df140bg-115bg/

Bricsoe - FYI

My local Suzuki guy says that there’s a 10% improvement in fuel economy over the DF140A series.

And in turn, the A series is 10-15% better economy than the pre-A series models (up to 2011).

You should see a 20% fuel economy improvement over your 07 model! Plus quieter, smoother, and faster.

Comment

Very impressive video. I've had time to think about what we'll see when we open up lower unit. The driveshaft gear is attached with a threaded bolt. I bet a dollar that bolt and nut are sheared off. When you pull prop shaft you have to undo bolt on driveshaft to remove it. I have a spare shaft oiled and wrapped in brown paper. I'm waiting on the Ins. adjuster to call (should be Friday) and I'll take it to FMC Marine in Bacliff, off Hwy 146, Houston suburb. The shop foreman said he had room, especially so if I just bring in lower unit. That would be sweet if that's the issue.
                Moonlighter quit teasing about that DF140BG. I think this would be a terrible year to try and buy that unit. The way supply is right now.
                Last edited by briscoe; 10-28-2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
                  Very impressive video.

Moonlighter quit teasing about that DF140BG. I think this would be a terrible year to try and buy that unit. The way supply is right now.
                  LOL yes you are 100% right, its an awful time to be buying a new motor.

Here, you now pay full manufacturers recommended price, no discounts at all. Pre-Covid all the manufacturers were offering deals. Save thousands off RRP.

My local Suzuki guy tells me that a new DF115BG will cost about $23.5 fitted, with one SMG4 gauge. And, wait at least 6 months after paying the deposit. Pre Covid I reckon it would have been closer to $18K.

Comment

OMG, that's what I'm talking about. That is insane!! I just dropped off lower unit at the shop. They said they would be getting to it by Thursday.

Comment

They opened up the lower unit and the verdict is in. Drum roll please.... broke the bottom nut off the driveshaft where the pinion gear bolts on. I knew it! I had a driveshaft off another DF140. So work is moving forward, they have the kit with seals etc. on hand. No damage to pinion or forward gear. Yayyyyy

Comment

Good news, indeed!
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                        X