Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counter rotation switching at set interval?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter rotation switching at set interval?

I have been looking for a new used prop to try out as I am only hitting 5750 WOT and getting 45 mph, and came across a set of props, one standard and one counter. I know the process to make my 2020 300 counter with a new plug, but it got me pondering, is it worth running one rotation for a set number of hours and then the other rotation for the next same number of hours?

This mod for counter rotation would go on the lower unit? I would think a transmission running one direction would be easier on it than adding something that takes one direction to hang it to the other. I only know that the engine is counter rotation. I don't see where changing rotation of transmission is helpful. Just my thoughts. You would have reprop it, too. Ewwww

Comment

With the gearbox design on the selective rotation engines, I cant see any benefit in changing them.

Comment

Uh.....no.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

So you can purchase a new Suzuki motor and if you want it to be a counter, then you purchase a plug that goes into the wiring harness on the block and now the gear case operates as a counter. I have seen other people post that they have a counter rotating prop as a spare and wire tie the plug to the spare prop, so if it's ever needed then you install the new prop and the plug and off you go. The technology is there and my question was would there be any benefit to running it as a right hand rotation, say for 100 hours and then running as counter rotation for the next 100 hours - if not why? I'm not going to do it, I am just very curious if its done what would be the downfall?

http://www.suzukimarine.com/FAQ/Tech...0rotation.aspx

Comment

***. That is way out there. I guess it makes the product work in all applications. It still has a cost that's passed on. Hmmm. Are other manufacturers are following suit?

Comment

Originally posted by BlindHog View Post
              So you can purchase a new Suzuki motor and if you want it to be a counter, then you purchase a plug that goes into the wiring harness on the block and now the gear case operates as a counter. I have seen other people post that they have a counter rotating prop as a spare and wire tie the plug to the spare prop, so if it's ever needed then you install the new prop and the plug and off you go. The technology is there and my question was would there be any benefit to running it as a right hand rotation, say for 100 hours and then running as counter rotation for the next 100 hours - if not why? I'm not going to do it, I am just very curious if its done what would be the downfall?

http://www.suzukimarine.com/FAQ/Tech...0rotation.aspx
              I knew exactly what your question was.

Note that the people who carry a spare prop as you described are those who run twins and triples etc and carry one spare in the knowledge that if the prop that fails is of the opposite rotation they know they can change the engine rotation to suit the one and only spare prop they are carrying. Nobody running a single engine would knowingly buy and carry a spare prop of the wrong rotation just because they knew they could change the engine rotation!

If there was any measurable benefit to changing the rotation say every xxx hours, Suzuki would no doubt have made such a recommendation, and it would be stated in the owner’s manual. Have you read the manual to see what it says about that, if anything?

You ask - would there be any downfall to doing it? Who knows??

It would be purely speculation unless you spoke to one of the design engineers.

Comment

Brilliant Blindhog, and thanks for clarification Moonlighter, which pointed to his perspective

Comment

Thanks for the replies and satisfying my curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                  X